What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Alfa Appreciation thread ! please post pics of any alfa you have owned

Thanks Quigs. Just in case you are interested:

My Alfa Romeo 'bitsarrini' special (so named coz' it's a bit of this and a bit of that!)

I have always dreamed of owning a 'proper' sports car, one that provides wind in the hair AND flies in the teeth motoring. My 'ultimate' car being the 1936 Mille Miglia-winning Alfa Romeo 8c 2900A. The idea of a two-seater racing car being driven on real roads appeals to me, but as I don’t have the necessary millions to buy an original I’ve tried to make my own interpretation – a tribute to one of history’s greats.

The Ferrari connection: The AR 2900a was a development of the AR 8c-35 by Enzo Ferrari (Scuderia Ferrari) after that car was eclipsed by Mercedes & Auto-Union in GP racing. The 8c-35 was given two seater bodywork finishing 1-2-3 in both the 1936 &37 Mille Miglia. A de-tuned version (the 8c2900b) was the worlds fastest production car. And are worth many, many, millions of £.

Whilst my car is not an original Alfa Romeo racing car, neither is it a replica nor a kit car but a one-off evocation. I like to think of it this way: although you’d love to see the 'real' Beatles or the 'real' Elvis Presley, obviously you can’t – so why not substitute a tribute band and just enjoy at that level?

Back in 1989, although I fancied a vintage car, I was put off by the thought of hours spent lying underneath a rusty wreck at the side of the road, missing some obscure part that would need to be made specially. I opted for a special combining retro styling with new bodywork and reasonably modern mechanics. A company called Classic Specials did a brilliant job of constructing a bespoke chassis utilising MGB mechanics and a Lenham Healey bodyshell. Unfortunately, in 1999, at the Castle Combe Classic Action Day I 'blew' the engine which was a turning point. I mean, at some point – surely – all us car enthusiasts must have dreamed about designing their own car. But amongst all the dreamers are us fantasists; a very small, deluded, minority who actually believe that we can engineer a car as well as Vittorio Jano or Enzo Ferrari...... and some of us actually put our spanners where our mouths are!

Utilising the MG-Lenham chassis and Lenham Healey rear bodywork I replaced the MG engine/gearbox with that of a 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV. I then constructed a buck from the aeroscreens forward and used this to make a mould and moulding. Although my bodywork is in no way accurate, I hope it reflects the spirit of the original. Was it worthwhile? Yes. Finished just in time for my birthday eight years ago, it was a wonderful present – even if I did pay for it myself!

My car’s first run was a ‘lap of honour’ down Bath’s main shopping street and I was soon joined by 30 affluent-looking Italians who spilled out into the road, blocking all the traffic, pulling out cameras and waving, clapping and cheering: “Bello”, “Magnifico”. Three of them (all old boys in their 70s) got down on their knees, in the middle of a busy shopping street and mock worshipped me (well the car, actually). My last sight of them, through tears of laughter, was through the rear-view mirror as I drove off, each one being helped to their feet by a pair of female ‘silver-tops’. I think I made their day; they certainly made mine!

Last edited:
I'm not actually a Ferrari owner but am a big Alfa fan. I own this:

Thanks Quigs. Just in case you are interested:

My Alfa Romeo 'bitsarrini' special (so named coz' it's a bit of this and a bit of that!)

I have always dreamed of owning a 'proper' sports car, one that provides wind in the hair AND flies in the teeth motoring. My 'ultimate' car being the 1936 Mille Miglia-winning Alfa Romeo 8c 2900A. The idea of a two-seater racing car being driven on real roads appeals to me, but as I don’t have the necessary millions to buy an original I’ve tried to make my own interpretation – a tribute to one of history’s greats.

The Ferrari connection: The AR 2900a was a development of the AR 8c-35 by Enzo Ferrari (Scuderia Ferrari) after that car was eclipsed by Mercedes & Auto-Union in GP racing. The 8c-35 was given two seater bodywork finishing 1-2-3 in both the 1936 &37 Mille Miglia. A de-tuned version (the 8c2900b) was the worlds fastest production car. And are worth many, many, millions of £.

Whilst my car is not an original Alfa Romeo racing car, neither is it a replica nor a kit car but a one-off evocation. I like to think of it this way: although you’d love to see the 'real' Beatles or the 'real' Elvis Presley, obviously you can’t – so why not substitute a tribute band and just enjoy at that level?

Back in 1989, although I fancied a vintage car, I was put off by the thought of hours spent lying underneath a rusty wreck at the side of the road, missing some obscure part that would need to be made specially. I opted for a special combining retro styling with new bodywork and reasonably modern mechanics. A company called Classic Specials did a brilliant job of constructing a bespoke chassis utilising MGB mechanics and a Lenham Healey bodyshell. Unfortunately, in 1999, at the Castle Combe Classic Action Day I 'blew' the engine which was a turning point. I mean, at some point – surely – all us car enthusiasts must have dreamed about designing their own car. But amongst all the dreamers are us fantasists; a very small, deluded, minority who actually believe that we can engineer a car as well as Vittorio Jano or Enzo Ferrari...... and some of us actually put our spanners where our mouths are!

Utilising the MG-Lenham chassis and Lenham Healey rear bodywork I replaced the MG engine/gearbox with that of a 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV. I then constructed a buck from the aeroscreens forward and used this to make a mould and moulding. Although my bodywork is in no way accurate, I hope it reflects the spirit of the original. Was it worthwhile? Yes. Finished just in time for my birthday eight years ago, it was a wonderful present – even if I did pay for it myself!

My car’s first run was a ‘lap of honour’ down Bath’s main shopping street and I was soon joined by 30 affluent-looking Italians who spilled out into the road, blocking all the traffic, pulling out cameras and waving, clapping and cheering: “Bello”, “Magnifico”. Three of them (all old boys in their 70s) got down on their knees, in the middle of a busy shopping street and mock worshipped me (well the car, actually). My last sight of them, through tears of laughter, was through the rear-view mirror as I drove off, each one being helped to their feet by a pair of female ‘silver-tops’. I think I made their day; they certainly made mine!
Wonderful, love it and that story. Whilst I'm not big on replicas (and as you state this is not) I'm good with those that are almost impossible to have because of rarity. Such as a Genuine AC Cobra, Ferrari 330 P4 and this.
By any chance are you AlfaOwner? There is indeed a Bitsarrini on there I think (not 100% sure of the spelling). I see you're on AlfaBB
(though not one I use currently).

Ianbts, a nice list of Alfas you've had there :thumbsup:

Just read this Malc... what a bummer...I thought the TS was a solid engine? Its a good time to stick the 3ltr in?:hmmm: Did you go Chatsworth for the national alfa day?

TBH I'm not sure. It had belts and variator done last year (about 700 miles ago now). New head gasket and head skimmed. Just before we went I paid someone to change the oil and replace the brake fluid. I changed the plugs and the air filter, in fact that afternoon after leaving yours Mike.

We were just 50 miles from home with over 550 miles that weekend (down to Newport) and it just lost power (actually you know this from Facebook :tongue3:).
Anyway I have a few other things to check but after speaking to Alfatune in St Helens and my own thoughts I'm 99% convinced the belt slipped.
However it seems with the Twin Spark all the valves will have been bent, the stress passed through the piston to the crank means the shell bearings will be fecked. Advice is a replacement engine. I'm pretty sure that is what I'll do and whilst it is more than the car's worth it is way, way cheaper than a Ferrari :laugh: