What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Annoying brake noise linked to wheel rotation

dermot

On my 488 GTB I have picked up a noise that synchronises with rotation of the wheels. I am fairly sure it is coming from the rear brakes. DL have fitted new front pads, cleaned out all the holes front and rear on the CCM discs. Done a bedding in session on the new pads. I have posted it on FChat and many have been there before. DL says it is fine, they are all prone to doing it and so have not offered any more suggestions. Well and good, but it still does not stop it being annoying especially when driving a low speeds in town etc...

It only kicks in when the brake are fully up to temperature.
It is not tyres as I have fitted a full new set this week.
It is not the brake pre-fill in the calliper as it does it on light throttle.
It does not do it rolling backwards which I thought should be a tell tail for something ?

I would love to get it on a ramp when hot and run it at low speeds to pin point the sound. It really sound like a bit of grit on the pads or an edge catching when it get hot.
I am thinking to try an Indy next and give them a few hours to try a few things. Any recommendations for an Indy more familiar with the newer cars. I am in Oxfordshire so Berks, Bucks, Warwickshire, all possible.
I know Aldous from old when I had my 360 but he is way over in Kent.
Any suggestions welcome.

Had a similar problem with my F430. Drove me potty !

Anyway, tracked it down to the Parking Brake Pads. Note, tugging on the Parking Brake didn't make it go away, it was simply the last thing left.
Fitted a new set, and hey presto, no more wheel mounted chirping cricket (as that's what it sounded like !).

Not suggesting your's will be the same problem, but certainly a place to look. And for what those small Pads cost might be worthwhile changing them.

Last edited:
I was wondering about those parking brake pads as well. Quick check on the price is £730+vat. Did you try champhering the pads first.

Holy c**p !

I didn't realise the parking Brake Pads for yours were that, er, extortionate !

I replaced mine as the backing plate was corroded, and at the time the price for a set meant messing around simply wasn't worth it.
Obviously the cost of the items on an F430 is considerably less.

However given the eye watering price of replacements for the 488 I think at that I would try a little champhering first.
Also apply a little anti-squeal grease in the necessary areas.

I too suspect the parking brake. To diagnose, you could disconnect and then remove the EPB from the main calipers, and drive without them. Two Allen bolts and one electrical connection per EPB.

It depends on how 'hands on' you are willing to get.

EPB is on the list to check. The noise goes away on gentle application of the brakes. Does this suggest it is not the EPB

Need to try and reproduce the noise on a ramp.

EPB is on the list to check. The noise goes away on gentle application of the brakes. Does this suggest it is not the EPB

Need to try and reproduce the noise on a ramp.
It does a bit, yes, unless there is some run out in the disc itself. Run out is when the disc does not rotate evenly on its vertical axis i.e. it wobbles. This can be caused by a manufacturing problem, which is rare, or due to some debris between the disc and the wheel hub, which is more common but still unsual on a newer car that likely hasn't had the discs removed yet.

If there is run out then the disc is constantly jiggling the pads about in the calipers, which causes a noise. Applying the brakes dampens this wobble and usually stops the noise.

The CCM pads do have an anti-squeal (noise) backing on them, but you could remove the pads and apply some copper slip to the pistons and contact areas to see if that helps, but if a problem is identified with the discs themselves then they should be replaced.

Last edited:
Mark,
Thanks, I will get the car jacked up at the rear so I can rotate the discs. Then inspect the two brake systems, remove pads and lube up. See if that does any good or changes the noise.
I might take the EPB off both sides just to see if that identifies the problem.

Night be a common issue a 488 came rolling past us in the pits at Donnington on Tuesday with its rear brakes squealing like hell...

Sounded like the parking brake but I also wondered if it was ESP related...