What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Anybody gone from a Cali v8 to a Cali t ?

Wilpert

As per the title.

For me it would be quite a hike in cost as my v8 NA is a 2010 plate. Very well loved and lovely colour combo etc.

I’ve just got tempted by the Cali t’s looks and performance.

Anybody made the transition, is it worth what would be around 30 to 40k for me extra?
Or should I get a couple of years from the v8 and wait for the early portofinos to come down a tad?

There are worse decisions to have to make but I’d welcome some advice please?

As per the title.

For me it would be quite a hike in cost as my v8 NA is a 2010 plate. Very well loved and lovely colour combo etc.

I’ve just got tempted by the Cali t’s looks and performance.

Anybody made the transition, is it worth what would be around 30 to 40k for me extra?
Or should I get a couple of years from the v8 and wait for the early portofinos to come down a tad?

There are worse decisions to have to make but I’d welcome some advice please?

Didn't you just get the Cali.....???

Yes - I have made exactly that move....

I have to say they are very different cars.. I think the looks are better... some people prefer the note of the V8 NA... personally I dont notice much of a difference... my T has the pipes unplugged and is plenty loud enough.. just did a Euro trip and some mountain passes.. It really is a surprisingly great car. Dont get me wrong.. I love my 2010 Cali - but the T feels much more powerful , prob the way the cali should have been orifinally.. the turbo is great

Now - if you are looking to update.. not sure costs, but is the Portofino a massive jump up - think interior is better...

I love my T... and defo pleased with the jump from the Cali... but prob a 488 for me next.

Didn't you just get the Cali.....???

Yes - I have made exactly that move....

I have to say they are very different cars.. I think the looks are better... some people prefer the note of the V8 NA... personally I dont notice much of a difference... my T has the pipes unplugged and is plenty loud enough.. just did a Euro trip and some mountain passes.. It really is a surprisingly great car. Dont get me wrong.. I love my 2010 Cali - but the T feels much more powerful , prob the way the cali should have been orifinally.. the turbo is great

Now - if you are looking to update.. not sure costs, but is the Portofino a massive jump up - think interior is better...

I love my T... and defo pleased with the jump from the Cali... but prob a 488 for me next.

ha ha, yes, I did just get the Cali and don't misunderstand me, I love it but I just got thinking the Cali T might have been a better move.
The car that has caught my eye is an blu america cali t with part leather and part alcantra cuoio seats and it looks the nuts (imho of course).
The people who have the car ive been drooling over have bought and sold my car before and they have serviced mine for the last 6 years too, so i would like to think as it si a car well known to them, I might get a decent px, although i also accept that pigs might fly :)

It would only work for me if the cost to change isnt too heavy but i must admit i do concern that the Cali T might lose a fair bit over the next 2 - 3 years but again who knows.

ha ha, yes, I did just get the Cali and don't misunderstand me, I love it but I just got thinking the Cali T might have been a better move.
The car that has caught my eye is an blu america cali t with part leather and part alcantra cuoio seats and it looks the nuts (imho of course).
The people who have the car ive been drooling over have bought and sold my car before and they have serviced mine for the last 6 years too, so i would like to think as it si a car well known to them, I might get a decent px, although i also accept that pigs might fly :)

It would only work for me if the cost to change isnt too heavy but i must admit i do concern that the Cali T might lose a fair bit over the next 2 - 3 years but again who knows.

This is the one:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202305237681878

It looks like a nice car. The T is more powerful but I bet you're not regularly lighting up all of the steering wheel LED's on yours?(!). The standard California is no slouch and you'll never use all of its power on UK roads.
Personally I used to prefer the looks of the T, I considered them an improvement over the first generation when it was introduced. Over time though my mind changed, hence our decision to buy the earlier car. The T lost the few design features that were a nod back to the original California and I think that was a shame. In terms of the ownership experience for you, who knows... Either way they're both lovely cars.

It looks like a nice car. The T is more powerful but I bet you're not regularly lighting up all of the steering wheel LED's on yours?(!). The standard California is no slouch and you'll never use all of its power on UK roads.
Personally I used to prefer the looks of the T, I considered them an improvement over the first generation when it was introduced. Over time though my mind changed, hence our decision to buy the earlier car. The T lost the few design features that were a nod back to the original California and I think that was a shame. In terms of the ownership experience for you, who knows... Either way they're both lovely cars.

Ha ha, that is the one thing i don't have on my those steering wheel LED's I cant lie, it isn't an option i would choose but i know many do for their own good reasons.

I am now thinking that from a cost sensibility point of view - (based on the assumption that mine doesn't suffer serious mechanical failure , i would be a lot better off piling the miles on my curry NA V8 and trade up in 2 to 3 years time, as a circa 70k car even with high miles, is not likely to depreciate anywhere near as much as the Cali T would in 2 to 3 years time :hmmm:

If it was me, I would do as mentioned futher up the thread and stick with what you've got for a couple of years, make sure you bond with the car etc then change to the Portofino. I wouldn't change from Cali to Cali T, too small a jump IMO

I wouldn't change from Cali to Cali T, too small a jump IMO
Although I confess to not having driven a T, this is my opinion too. Personally, I feel better about having the earlier California for 30k less. The difference is quite a rainy day fund and should go a long way to help with those "what's that noise?" moments.

Although I confess to not having driven a T, this is my opinion too. Personally, I feel better about having the earlier California for 30k less. The difference is quite a rainy day fund and should go a long way to help with those "what's that noise?" moments.

I’m starting to warm to that idea too. I can’t really justify what is possibly in the region of 35 to 40k uplift for a car that, despite having better performance might not give me 35k worth of extra smiles.

I’m also thinking maybe 2 years down the line, mine will have dropped say another 20 percent, if the Porto also drops 20 percent I’ll be quids in.

Caveat: the above assumes that the noise either never materialises or that I don’t hear it ����

I took mine in for a brake switch issue today and saw a nice looking Porto, perhaps I should have asked how much it might cost me in 2 years time. ��

Last edited:
The T is better built and feels more punchy but doesn't have the lovely sound of the 4.3, at least in standard form. I haven't driven a t with a sports exhaust

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

exactly my thoughts about swapping my 355 for a 430! difference just not justifiable for me; and difference is circa a years earlier retirement so I know what Id prefer. but its all personal choice at the end of the day.

The T is better built and feels more punchy but doesn't have the lovely sound of the 4.3, at least in standard form. I haven't driven a t with a sports exhaust

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

As per my other posts, I’ve been a Porsche person for quite some time and my most recent was the 991.1 turbo s. Looked lovely, drove so tight and could be an excellent daily but those turbos killed the sound.
It made me dislike the car for some reason, I just couldn’t get my head around it.
My earlier car a NA Boxster gts, less than half the value but sounded so much better BUT even then i had to use a switch to make that happen.
The one thing I’m loving about my standard Cali V8 is the sound and the fact that it works without having to use a switch. I also like that it’s a good sound without the drone. My Cayam S had an aftermarket non switchable exhaust, it wasn’t so loud but it just droned a bit.

I do have one disappointment with the Cali though, the manettino switching between comfort and sport. Imho it’s hardly noticeable and doesn’t get near to the Porsche pasm system.
Maybe they have corrected that in the Cali t and I’m hoping they would have done in the Porto

Last edited: