What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Boxster or Cayman

The GTS effectively has the same engine as the S model. It was more of a cosmetic upgrade to the car rather than a full blown performance step up. It will most likely have a sports exhaust fitted.

Here is a 718 Boxster S which I'm pretty certain has the PSE sports exhaust option fitted. The turbo 4 cylinder has much more of a bassy sound and doesn't have the high pitched scream as you pile on the revs that the flat 6 N/A engine has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQqO8DUQTlg

What the ........ does it sound like without a sports exhaust? :)

Seriously, I'm sure they're fantastic machines but that sounds pretty poor for a high performance sports car, and I'm being very, very kind. The 6 cylinder was 'ok' although I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a high pitched scream.

Maybe I've been spoiled by listening to Ferraris with sports exhausts for too long.

As I say, sure they're great machines though :thumbsup:

I was quite impressed tbh, and for a daily they look a perfect replacement for my mini cooper s :laugh::laugh: - that my daughter seems to be eying up lovingly.

its the grey for me - love the black , but hate how dirty the paintwork will look

What the ........ does it sound like without a sports exhaust? :)

Seriously, I'm sure they're fantastic machines but that sounds pretty poor for a high performance sports car, and I'm being very, very kind. The 6 cylinder was 'ok' although I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a high pitched scream.

Maybe I've been spoiled by listening to Ferraris with sports exhausts for too long.

As I say, sure they're great machines though :thumbsup:

The engines just used to look like a washing machine and now they even sound like one:laugh:

The engines just used to look like a washing machine and now they even sound like one:laugh:

I think it just highlights the difference in approach between Porsche and Ferrari. As I said, I'm sure it's an amazing machine, really capable, and that's what matters to Porsche and I guess their customers. With Ferrari I think it's more about the complete experience and if the pay back is you need the RAC to come and rescue you once in a while, so be it. The sound is part of that experience. If the engineers at Maranello unveiled their newest car, fired it up and it sounded like that, shortly after checking it wasn't April 1st, the management would tell them to go back to the drawing board.

I know I'm not comparing apples with apples, Ferrari don't make an 'affordable' sports car (relitively speaking) but I think the sound of a sports car is important. It is to me anyway.

I think it just highlights the difference in approach between Porsche and Ferrari. As I said, I'm sure it's an amazing machine, really capable, and that's what matters to Porsche and I guess their customers. With Ferrari I think it's more about the complete experience and if the pay back is you need the RAC to come and rescue you once in a while, so be it. The sound is part of that experience. If the engineers at Maranello unveiled their newest car, fired it up and it sounded like that, shortly after checking it wasn't April 1st, the management would tell them to go back to the drawing board.

I know I'm not comparing apples with apples, Ferrari don't make an 'affordable' sports car (relitively speaking) but I think the sound of a sports car is important. It is to me anyway.
Spot on. It's an emotional purchase. Therefore it should stir your emotions

You guys have clearly not driven a 997 GT3.2 RS.....

I'm not talking about a 997 GT3.2 RS, I'm talking about the cars in the videos. A 400i isn't an epic sports car just because a 458 Speciale is :)

Edit: Point is, no matter what other models they each sell, I couldn't see Ferrari selling a sports car that sounded like that.

Last edited:
I must say the video doesn't do it any favours sound-wise. It sounds like he's changing gear at 3k, a bit like current F1 compared to a couple of years ago. It'll be a great car but surely they could spend a bit of time and effort tuning the sound. Our early S sounds pretty good and a different league to that. This new one sounds a bit too…. German?

:thumbsup: Lovely, although stretching a big woman's bra over the top as an excuse for a roof shows the top was a bit of an afterthought!