What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Chamois or blow dry?

john348gtb

For years I've always dried my car by waffle weave microfibre cloth,till today.
Just purchased a high end blower to quicken this process.Especially for areas like the motor cover etc.
What's everybody's take on this?
What do you recommend?

I bought a leaf blower for that purpose. Particularly the vents in the doors (F355 then). I used it once and now use it for collecting leaves (only on vacuum instead of blow) :tongue3:

For years I've always dried my car by waffle weave microfibre cloth,till today.
Just purchased a high end blower to quicken this process.Especially for areas like the motor cover etc.
What's everybody's take on this?
What do you recommend?

My only concern with the blower is if you first need to filter the air :grin:

Take the softest bath towel in the house, and pat the car dry. The wife especially loves to see her fluffy towels used this way

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Take the softest bath towel in the house, and pat the car dry. The wife especially loves to see her fluffy towels used this way

Fireball have a brilliant drying towel, just lay it on the car and peel it off, removes the water like magic:thumbsup:

Pete - It's still water:laugh: so the car needs to be dried:wink3: A lot of "Detailers" use a combination of a microfibre drying towel (needs the special wash regime:grin:) and a warm air blower:thumbsup:

Yes, but if it's filtered it doesn't leave water marks so why bother. Put it in a (hehumidified) garage and let nature (and your dehumidifier) take it's course. Water doesn't actually leave marks, only the impurities in the water do :thumbsup:

Yes, but if it's filtered it doesn't leave water marks so why bother. Put it in a (hehumidified) garage and let nature (and your dehumidifier) take it's course. Water doesn't actually leave marks, only the impurities in the water do :thumbsup:

Have no choice but to take the car out in the rain tomorrow ( Friday 19th ) as it is MOT time at Lancaster, Colchester.

Saving grace is that when i get home the car can go into the air-chamber nice and warm and enjoy a thorough drying from the de-humidifier i have located inside the chamber.

Only thing i need to remember to do is go and empty the de-humidifier bucket after it has sucked up all the moisture :grin:

Did the same last year after 2 hours in the pi**ing rain coming back from an event in London and the next day the car looked like i had just polished it .... it was cleaner than before it went out :thumbsup:

Have no choice but to take the car out in the rain tomorrow ( Friday 19th ) as it is MOT time at Lancaster, Colchester.

Saving grace is that when i get home the car can go into the air-chamber nice and warm and enjoy a thorough drying from the de-humidifier i have located inside the chamber.

Only thing i need to remember to do is go and empty the de-humidifier bucket after it has sucked up all the moisture :grin:

Did the same last year after 2 hours in the pi**ing rain coming back from an event in London and the next day the car looked like i had just polished it .... it was cleaner than before it went out :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Agree filtered water is best.Why I bought the air blaster is to blow out any water that accumulates under the door sills.Everyone knows how hard it is to get to this area.
I didn't buy a garden blower but a professional car blower with filtered tempid air twin motors.
Don't know about anybody else but even after washing/detailing my 348 I always take her for a good 20 minute drive just to ensure no water is present before putting her back in the garage.
Here in Sydney we really don't have a humidity problem but still never put her away without drying her down.

It's true that it reduces the spotting on the bodywork, but it's unlikely that the final rinse with the de-ionised water will remove the "normal" water from nooks & crannies, especially from the wheel/brake areas, air blowers will do this and it also speeds up the drying process in your dehumidified garage :thumbsup: unless your garage is at <30% RH:shocked:
The rust is caused by the oxygen in the water, the de-ionised water only has the TDS removed unless youve got one that de-oxygenates the water, but wouldn't that just leave you with hydrogen:laugh:

Last edited:

:shocked::shocked::laugh:

I'm thinking Cruella Deville style and breeding little tiny puppies (mongrel as they're cheap) and ickle baby fluffy kittens (again mongrelly ones) and using them as per the post "microfbre towels" to dry off the car.

Gentlemen, we in the Antipodies have no dehumidified air sorry, just plain fresh Aussie air.Also we don't have it in cans.Still its pretty good, blower is actually American.Here I believe its the Ants Pants as far as quality is concerned.
Washing my 348 on Sunday after church,keep you posted.