What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Checking Oil - 430

marcusjames

Hi all

The owner's manual mentions that the oil should be warm and engine running when you check the levels. This is anti everything (not much) I know about maintenance.

How do you check yours ?

Thanks

The reason it is different is that most cars have the oil in the sump, and you test it cold when all the engine has drained down there. With a dry sump car like the Ferrari, the oil is in a seperate tank and you need to be sure it has sucked all the oil from the bottom of the engine and placed it in the tank, which only happens when the car is warm and the engine has been run for a while. The temp of the oil also has some effect, hence the fact that it needs to be tested fully warmed through

Make certain your engine is fully warmed, on a level surface, idling, and then remove cap (with glove), wipe the dipstick, reinsert, remove and check.

If the engine is not fully warmed, the oil thermostat will not open and allow full flow from the resevoir.

If you are sqeemish about doing it have a knowledgeable person do it.

If you are not sure don't add oil because if you overfill it will will open a can of worms.

What? There is a thermostat in the oil circuit like the one in the coolant?
Well I never knew that. Thanks Greg

There are 12 quarts of oil in the 360. That takes a long time to heat especially when it's cool out. I have to drive 10-12 miles on a cool California morning to get the oil to temp and it really takes a bit more than that to get 100% warm.

So the oil thermostat does what the water thermostat does and keeps recycling warm oil to the block until it's all fully warmed.

This is why it's important to make sure the oil is fully warmed prior to checking the quantity.