What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Factory collection and 488 GTB running report- will be picture heavy!

A few arty pictures in my garage with some good reflections from my signs...

Will write a running report at the weekend but the sum up is ......its a f@@@@ng Beast!

20180323_184001.jpg20180323_183743.jpg20180323_183903.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Couldn't wait for the sunshine...

Been out twice in the last couple of days.....this car is an absolute animal it really is to damm fast!!

The torque on it is absolutely unbelievable it pulls like a Loco.

The grip even in the damp is unbelievable it sticks to the ground like s**t to a blanket!

The speed is borderline frightening when going at full tilt!

Anyway it needed a proper clean up,before I put it to bed this evening! Gave me a chance to use my new watering contraption that I made with a 3 into 1 system for my jet wash

Hot Water
Cold Water
Filtered water

Really nice to have warm water from the hose when it's cold out ...

And I got to use my new snowfoam gun!

Job for tomorrow is another coat of raceglaze carnuba wax !

Attachments

• 20180324_152137_resized.jpg
    20180324_152137_resized.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20180324_152152_resized.jpg
    20180324_152152_resized.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 20180324_152207_resized.jpg
    20180324_152207_resized.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 191
  • 20180324_221248_resized.jpg
    20180324_221248_resized.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 20180324_215605_resized.jpg
    20180324_215605_resized.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 188
Yes I saw the pictures from the last one...it looked like a really good event..

Yep would be interested in doing something like that

Regards

Michael

:thumbsup:

I think the welsh weekender would be right up your street!

It’s full at the moment but keep an eye out for any withdrawals or if not hopefully we’ll have another in 2019:)

Enjoying this write up, thanks.

On the wheel cleaning I agree with what has been said. In fact I don't use any cleaners on the wheels apart from well diluted bodywork shampoo and even that occasionally. Unless hand drying every last bit of the wheel it just leaves something there to start eating at the brakes or wheel. Despite having experienced many makes of wheels I have yet to find any that are finished well enough to prevent issues.

You also mention raceglaze wax after a snowfoam. The nature of snowfoam and leaving the wash to slowly cover the whole car is to strip as much much as possible. By the same token it strips wax too to some degree and should be used for those bigger cleans IMO. The degreasers and ph levels will undo your previous elbow grease. Might be worth a really mild wash in a two bucket method to keep it building up. [emoji846]

And yes have been bored today out polishing and waxing! [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nice Hose Set Up

Been out twice in the last couple of days.....this car is an absolute animal it really is to damm fast!!

The torque on it is absolutely unbelievable it pulls like a Loco.

The grip even in the damp is unbelievable it sticks to the ground like s**t to a blanket!

The speed is borderline frightening when going at full tilt!

Anyway it needed a proper clean up,before I put it to bed this evening! Gave me a chance to use my new watering contraption that I made with a 3 into 1 system for my jet wash

Hot Water
Cold Water
Filtered water

Really nice to have warm water from the hose when it's cold out ...

And I got to use my new snowfoam gun!

Job for tomorrow is another coat of raceglaze carnuba wax !

Thanks for sharing all of the pictures. Your hose/filter set up is a tad neater than mine and something you have motivated me to improve if the weather ever improves. Cheers :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing all of the pictures. Your hose/filter set up is a tad neater than mine and something you have motivated me to improve if the weather ever improves. Cheers :thumbsup:

I got fed up with changing hoses and dripping water in my garage so decided to sort it out once and for all!

Got all the bits on eBay! And I can switch water just with a flick of a tap now, no hose changing! Yipeee

Chapter 7 4x4

No I haven't tried to convert it to 4 wheel drive!

I'm now 4 months in and 4 thousand miles on the motor!

So thought I'd just give a few thoughts first of all on the spec of the car

Spec
Colour - Rosso Corsa - reallympleased I got RC did consider RS but really happy...what would my second choice colours be or what would I have on a new car I think triple layer yellow or one of the deep shiney grays

Wheels- I went for the option rim the lightweight forged 2 reasons first in,e the look of them but more importantly they are stronger and where I am there are a lot of pot holes so for me that was a must...if I had my time again though....I. Any have ordered with the standard rims but got a set of forged from ebay as odd as it sounds it probably works out cheaper and when you sell the car you can sell the rims again and get some money back on them - may do that next time. Definitely like the painted chrome I'm not a fan of diamond cut or black I've had many like that and I'm not a fan.

Shields- no brainer on that

Calipers- Again for me it was a no brainier to have yellow it personal preference but it works well wit the red and the shields and centre caps and horn push and tach all being yellow

PPF - very expensive for what it is but I think overall a good investment I got mine done by chipguard

Chrome exhaust tips-Hmmmm I think I should have got black... I don't want to powder coat mine as I want to keep all original if I sell it but if I can get another set of chrome or black cheap enough I will get them and change them over and powder coat them Matt black

Exterior Carbon- I'm glad I didn't get any it's both very dear and I don't personally like the look of it

Folding Mirrors- have never used them since I had the car would not spec them again as they do not fold in on key off you have to turn the switch inside. If they folded on key off they would be much better.

Parking sensors - got them at both ends and glad I did. Didn't spec the camera as I'm not a fan of them but definitely glad I got sensors

Suspension lifter- Brilliant love it use it all the time just gives piece of mind

Sports seats - love them if you read aback you will see I had to raise them a bit I didn't get the seat lifter as I thought I wouldnt need it if you read back... when you consider the cost I'm happy with what I have and wouldn't spec the lifter on another one.

Black carpets and black leather- yep really pleased I nearly got red carpet and I nearly got alcantara inserts but happy with what I got now, may consider alcantara on another one but the leather is lovely.

Grey stitching- yep really pleased it matches perfectly to the aluminium intereior trim and glad I got the stitched horses rather than the embossed.

Seat Pattern- I went back and forth on this and got goldrake i really don't think you can go wrong with either goldrake or Daytona. I think if I did it again I would have the central stripe on the goldrake in a contrasting colour.

Red Leather accents- The dealer suggested the red central tunnel I knew I wanted the red under dash and I love both they just add a pop of colour to the interior. The Red under dash when you sit in the car flows into the top of the exterior wing and is a lovely effect when you sit in the car so pleased with it. I also specced red stitching on the red leather and really pleased I did that as the silver stitching would not have looked right.

Seat belts- had a hard time deciding between red or grey to match the stitching, glad I went with the red it matches the tunnel and the under dash.

Tach counter- yellow glad I got yellow I nearly got red but the yellow matches the other accent pieces.

Carbon wheel with Leds- No brainier you need this in my opinion. I got the Carbonio extended carbon paddles and will probably get a ricambi carbon tach surround just so the whole steering wheel area is in Carbon.

Adaptive headlights- waste of time and money but you have to have them with the suspension lifter. They are knowhere near as good as the adaptive lights on my Mercedes

Mats- I went with the free if you can call it that mats and had a tailored set from exoticare which are better than the factory ones and half the price!

Next post driving it....

What would I do different next time?
Maybe alcantara seat centres
Maybe central seat stripe in contrasting colour
Possibly seat lifter but I'm not sure I could justify paying for something that gets used so little
And this is an odd one but I think maybe the passenger display next time, a complete waste of money and not very useful but .....pretty Kool!

Attachments

• 20180407_144534_resized.jpg
    20180407_144534_resized.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 230
Driving Impressions

So what is it like to drive?

Well first of all I have been lucky enough to drive 6 different 488's and pretty much they all drive the same, which is good as no quirks or niggles and stuff making differences between the cars.

I have driven a 488 (not mine) on a track at Thruxton as well practising on both the track and skidpan and being able to do multiple launch control starts as well..

Noise- once it comes off choke it is actually quite quiet relatively with a low down rumble and very docile round town and gets noises once the valves open after 3000rpm. Now I have my valves permanently open as you can read about above and I personally prefer it, it just makes it much more of an event, it is now quite loud even at idle! And you get far more pops and burbles when coming off the throttle now. The only downside is you can't hear any turbo whistle now as the Exhaust covers it completel. With the valves standard you can hear the turbos spool up. I can see why they have the valves on the Exhaust if you were doing a lot of motorway driving it may be a bit too loud but for the type of driving I do I prefer it as it is now makes it much more of an event.

Economy- now not the first thing you think about in an F car but if you keep to the speed limit and are light on the throttle and use auto mode it's actually pretty good on juice, don't know the exact figure but I guess on a London to Devon run you can get 25mpg maybe a tad more. Now if you are in manual mode and are having fun, you will be down below 10mpg!! But oh so worth it!!!

Reliability- It has been absolutely perfect, I was a bit nervous as it did not have a traditional dealer PDI as I picked it up from the factory and almost expected some niggles but it's been spot on!

Comfort- the sports seats are surprisingly comfortable and I have done a few long runs the longest was Geneva to Calais in 1 day and it was really good, not as comfy as a big 4x4 of course but not something that was having you think are we there yet!

ICE and sat nav - on the FChat site they were not very complimentary about the standard stereo and many yanks spec the upgrade I think. My view ....taking into account the type of car and how it is used the stereo was much better than I was expecting after reading reviews on FChat, unless the Euro spec cars have a different set up....? Sat Nav- again surprisingly good , I was already to use Waze or google maps driving all over Europe in it, thinking the system would be glitchy and not very accurate....it's actually very good and probably better than the one in my new f Pace.

The Bluetooth works perfectly.
Music plays well from the iPhone

Speed- Honestly this car is to fast both from a standstill and when on the move, its an animal. The engine spools so quickly there is no turbo lag and the torque is amazing it will pull in 5,6,7 from crawling speeds with no issues at all.i don't know the ultimate top speed but let's just say you can see quite easy that it will go way north of 200! The acceleration is brutal and you need to be on those paddles or you will hit the limiter.

Gear box- if there was a manual option yes I would have chosen that but this the next best thing. Changes are instant and the auto mode is handy and I must admit I used that a lot the first day or 2 I had it but now I find I'm driving in manual all of the time now.

Brakes- fly first foray with CCMs , I'm not a racer or expert driver or a track user so I'm not sure I see the hype with them. That said there is one massive benefit in the fact that you get practically zero brake dust and that's good news for keeping the wheels clean. The brakes definitely need warming up to get them stopping as you would expect them to, and I do get a bit of squeaking from them from time to time, no real pattern to it but a lot of users report it, and of the other 488s I have driven most of them have squeake. It seems to be that mid point between warm and really hot that they squeak but I haven't really pinned it down..I will speak to the dealer about it when I see him but it's not bugged me enough to do that yet..

Ride quality- I have tried the bumpy road mode a couple of times but i can't really tell the difference! So it stays in normal mode all the time now. The ride quality is surprisingly good no banging or crashing around , firm but comfortable is how I would describe it. It corners very flat and virtually no body roll.

Handling- I guess I experienced the best of the handling when I was on the track at Thruxton, the steering is quick it corners flat and despite watching the Chris Harris video where he drifts it at will, I can say that it sticks to the road brilliantly Chris Harris is some driver to get it to dance like that. That said you can't be an idiot in this car as it will only tolerate so much before it bites you! I had a couple of occasions where. The back end lost grip in the damp when I was being a bit to brave. I have learnt to respect the car but also have great fun with it. I'm looking forward to some warm dry days to have some real fun with it.

Practicality- Now this is interesting...the cabin inside is massive for a 2 seat sports car plenty of leg and head room and a fair a,punt of storage behind the rear seats for coats and small bags and stuff. The boot is pretty big and plenty big enough for 2 people's holiday luggage for 2 weeks in the right type of bag e.g. Soft sports bag rather than hard shell suitcase.

Another little thing I like is that it has a capless petrol cap system so no cap to loose or dangle down on the paint, first car that I have had with that, lovely little idea.

I think you get the idea that I'm pretty pleased with it!!!!

The most surprising thing for a lot of people is that it is as easy to drive as a 3 series around town (parking aside!) but when you put your foot down change down a couple gears it turns into an absolute beast!

I'm looking forward to taking it back to Europe in the summer!

An unexpected thing...

So i was unsure as to whether to have a red or black tach, and got yellow and there were also black and silver available as well..

The interesting bit is that the yellow tach due to the way it is lit shows as completely black at night not a hint of yellow and making it easy to read..

I was expecting a glowing yellow tach but nothing of the sort..an interesting surprise..

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 207
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 203
Been out for a good drive today organised by the local dealer.

Exeter to Newquay and then lunch at Fifteen in Newquay.

There were about a dozen of us in convoy.

Was a good day out and nice to drive with a group of cars.

20180415_153919.jpg20180415_113422.jpg20180415_112943.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Been to the beach this evening..

What a difference a week makes to the weather....

Woolacombe this evening...

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 144
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 141