What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

My Argento 360

Mike01606

There’s a lack of 360 technical threads at the moment and I’ve just started some winter work on mine so I thought I start a thread.
How deep I go is open ended and very much depending on what I find but starting with fitting the exhaust I refurb’d in the Summer and the rest will depend on what I find.
I’ve my eye on a couple of jobs but I’ll leave those for now and see where it takes me.....

It’s been a few years before I’ve had the time and space to spend a bit of time and it keeps the cabin fever at bay over the long winter nights!

First job grill and rear bumper off which is well covered elsewhere.
Only thing to point out so far is you can get at the outer bumper bolts without removing the wheels and grit guards if the grill is off. A bit fiddly but more convenient for me as I’m tight for space at the side of the car.

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8216.jpg

First question.....I intend to replace a lot of fasteners and p clips etc with stainless. Has anyone got a recommended source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Brilliant news:-

Have longed for a good 360 thread - I personally think the tasteful upgrade potential for this tipo is massive.

Will also be good to see what condition they are in underneath.

You already have my undivided attention

I’ve realised this afternoon this wasn’t a great time to start as I’m away for most of the next two weeks....

I’ve just a spent an hour this evening stripping parts off and will continue tomorrow then it will stall for a while.

Exhaust outlets off....far too easy considering it’s probably 5-6 years since it last came off and the heat involved.
A tip if your buying a second hand silencer. Check all four studs on each side are OK, as most I see on eBay have some of them sheared.

I used two axle stands to take the weight of the silencer to stop it stressing the manifolds and removed all the brackets.
The silencer is a tight squeeze but came out ok (but watch your paintwork)

IMG_8224.jpg

Lots of white powder on top of the gearbox. Hopefully this will see and to that.

IMG_8227.jpg

Cats look good from the back..

IMG_8228.jpg

The only other thing I did was strip the heat shielding off the rear of the box and F1 actuator.
Adam mentioned a leak on the actuator position switches which he says is very common in fact most cars have it.

It’s hard to see and it all needs a good clean but the selection sensor is damp. The engagement sensor is bone dry.
This is gearbox oil not F1 fluid at this end of the actuator BTW.

IMG_8232.jpg

This was pointed out 12 months ago and the long-term issue could be oil ingress into the sensor causing a fault.
The sensors themselves are plain old PSA group throttle position sensors?and I have a few spares!

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

So....should I leave it as the car drives so well or dig a little deeper?
I’d like the think that there is a seal on the shaft that operates the sensor that I could replace without removing the actuator and fully stripping it but I’d prefer to know that before starting.
I have the software to carry out a F1 relearn afterwards but haven’t tested it.
Could it be that easy to fix ? I doubt it....

Otherwise all good so far. You start these things with a bit of trepidation in case you find the weld where the two halves were cut and shut or something worse.
Eg the bumper has had no repairs and matches the cars age and a good thing about owning an Argento car is that that most of he spares have red paint on and there’s usually some overspray left behind [emoji4]

The exhausts are a nice colour internally

IMG_8226.jpg

I intend the remove the airboxand side panels later this week and the try and give the engine bay a good clean and degrease. The gearbox casting looks very clean and will clean up like new.

One final picture.....

IMG_8223.jpg

Dust is great for showing leaks....I had this inside the rear bumper and it looked like carbon/soot.
After a bit of to and fro. It was Meguiars tyre black thrown off the new rear tyres!

Last edited:
Brilliant news:-

Have longed for a good 360 thread - I personally think the tasteful upgrade potential for this tipo is massive.

Will also be good to see what condition they are in underneath.

You already have my undivided attention

+1 :thumbsup:

I used asap-supplies.com for my S/S P clips.

The metal band is not quite as wide or thick as the F cars ones, but about a tenth of the price.

No affiliation to the company, I just use them for various boating bits!

(Keep your thread going, I like these!)

Cheers
Adrian

Nice to see someone doing sensible work on their car. I regard this as extreme cleaning and its so satisfying when you put everything back together - shiny new and niggles sorted out :)

Thanks for the supplier advice....I’ll look into it.

On the actuator leak......

It’s hard to find any detailed images that show how these sensor shafts may be sealed.
This is the best I could find.

IMG_8244.JPG

Looking at the engagement switch on the end of the actuator. The brass part can only be installed from the outside and could be retained with a circlip?
If that is the case the selection one (which has the black plastic cover on) could be the same and looking at the casting I think it is similar unless the black cap is actually the seal.

I also found one for sale with the selection sensor shaft removed/missing.

IMG_8243.JPG

I need to move the F1 hydraulic lines to the side to get clearer access and probably need to remove the air box as the F1 lines are P-clipped underneath it.

So far it looks like it is possible to reseal these switches in situ.
If anyone has any detailed images of an F1 actuator with the switches removed it would be great fully appreciated.

One day I would like to strip an actuator down to de-mystify them but I’ll only do mine if totally necessary.

Just reading my posts again.....I’ve reversed the selection and engagement sensors.
Selection on the end and engagement on the bottom.
The leak is on the engagement sensor.

The leak will be coming through a seal in the area where the finger engages with the gearbox. This is why you're getting transmission oil egress as opposed the F1 oil. Very common on all F1/CC tipos but the 360 sensors seem to be more oil resistant than the ones fitted to the later actuators. Unfortunately you'll need to strip the actuator down to get to the seal.

If you email me tomorrow I'll take a picture of the seal - I have an actuator in bits right now.

The leak will be coming through a seal in the area where the finger engages with the gearbox. This is why you're getting transmission oil egress as opposed the F1 oil. Very common on all F1/CC tipos but the 360 sensors seem to be more oil resistant than the ones fitted to the later actuators. Unfortunately you'll need to strip the actuator down to get to the seal.

If you email me tomorrow I'll take a picture of the seal - I have an actuator in bits right now.

Awesome Aldous and thanks.

I was going to try a post on FChat later to try and get an image with the sensor removed....

No progress tonight but a bit of light relief.
For those that know me on Facebook they may know I have an understanding wife.
For those that don’t, here is an indication of what she has to put up with :)

IMG_8245.jpg

Apparently it has to be moved by Christmas ;)

Seems only reasonable that you need to move the sofa by X-mas. Tree has to go somewhere! :grin:

:laugh:

Great thread Mike. I would do work on mine except I'm lazy and have the excuse that both my garage and house are way too small to do anything!