What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

part numbers on spares and accessories - is there a standard format

Wilpert

was having a nose around behind the wheels on my Cali 2020, (it all started with squeaky brakes but that's another story).
anyway, I noticed on the nearside, the damper looked much newer than the one on the drivers side.

I considered that this may have been replaced in previous ownership, my paranoia took over and prompted me to look for damage on panels, trims, tyres etc but nothing at all everything except the damper looks original and same age.
This prompted me to look at the little white sticker on both right and left dampers and they do have different numbers, is there anything that can be learnt from the code numbers on parts, i.e. manufacture date or any other information, i.e. a VIN number will tell us where a car was made and the model/spec etc. what does a code on a part tell us, make? model? year manufactured?

please see pics below of both items;

damper 1.jpgdamper 2.jpg

Normally if you go to Eurospares or Maranello Classic Parts websites and look up the assembly drawings for your car (or type in the part number), it tells you if the part has been superseded by a new part number.
Many parts over the lifecycle of the car been superseded.

But on your pics they look the same number to me.
The # is the part number the test will be manufacturers codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
With all the potholes on the roads, especially at the edge, I wouldn't worry too much if a damper on that side has had to be replaced at some point. My wife's runabout (150k miles on the clock) needed a new damper on the front passenger side but driver's side was fine.

Makes sense to me re the pot holes on passenger side. So probably was replaced more recently.

I’ve now established that the part number is very different it’s a magneride damper and they end in a 08.
The standard dampers end in 07

I’ll keep a note of those parts sites.
Presumably they are cheaper than going to an Ian dealers or is this not the case?

Makes sense to me re the pot holes on passenger side. So probably was replaced more recently.

I’ve now established that the part number is very different it’s a magneride damper and they end in a 08.
The standard dampers end in 07

I’ll keep a note of those parts sites.
Presumably they are cheaper than going to an Ian dealers or is this not the case?

I always used my local main dealer (Stratstones Wilmslow) for spares who were great for customer service and pricing. Even in Essex I’d give them a go.

I always used my local main dealer (Stratstones Wilmslow) for spares who were great for customer service and pricing. Even in Essex I’d give them a go.

Thanks,
If I do need parts, I won’t tell em I’m from Essex 😀