What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Petrol pump keeps cutting out during fuelling.

Wilpert

I know it sounds a bit random and at first I thought it was a glitch but it’s happening every time I fill up the car.

I put the nozzle in and when I depress the handle on the fuel pump, it cuts out, the same way that it would do if the tank was full up.

I did a Google search and I got a few hits saying this was a common problem.

Does anybody know what might cause this and if so how do I get over it?

I would start with looking at the fuel vapour recirculation system. If you are not getting the fuel vapour out quick enough you wont get fuel in easily. It can be as simple as a pipe from the tank to the filler neck. Could be deformed causing a blockage. Have you checked with Ferrari about recalls or mods they may offer for this problem? Worth an ask.

Thanks
I just went to the petrol station and filled up, same thing happened straight away so I turned the pump upside down and it worked fine, tried it at 3-0clock and it worked ok ish but still cut out after a short while, same at 6-0clock but upside down was perfect.

So I know I can get over it but I don’t want to mask an underlying issue.

There is no fuel leaking and no warning signs so hopefully a simple fix.
Next service and mot not due for around 10 months so not sure if I should leave alone until then or book in beforehand as all seems fine except this.

I don't even know what model you have but many cars are very sensitive to the angle you place the petrol pump nozzle into the fill up tube. The pump nozzle is cranked and the fill up pipe in the vehicle is usually cranked. On filling, if the two cranks don't line up more or less, the nozzle will feel the back pressure (after all, that's what shuts off the fuel delivery when the tank is fuel - to do this, the cut off system has to be quite sensitive). I am saying that I strongly suggest that you have no problem; just have to present the nozzle at the right angle each time.

I don't even know what model you have but many cars are very sensitive to the angle you place the petrol pump nozzle into the fill up tube. The pump nozzle is cranked and the fill up pipe in the vehicle is usually cranked. On filling, if the two cranks don't line up more or less, the nozzle will feel the back pressure (after all, that's what shuts off the fuel delivery when the tank is fuel - to do this, the cut off system has to be quite sensitive). I am saying that I strongly suggest that you have no problem; just have to present the nozzle at the right angle each time.

Sorry, should have said. 2010 California.
My early Porsche 996 did this too but not so bad. I also had a fuel sensor failure in that car which meant you didn’t know how much fuel you had at o it always read as empty.

Ours does it as well. It's always a case of a dozen or so click-offs before I find an angle with the nozzle that the car's happy with.