What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Servicing and fault diagnosis

RobC

Well, I have been trying to get a garage/workshop to hire out for my servicing ,I could not find anyone who was willing to loan/rent a place locally to me in Essex.......

So,after five months of mucking around I bit the bullet and started getting quotes from Indy's and then onto Main Dealers, I ended up using a Main dealer here in Essex..they said they would be competitive and were willing to match the indy's quotes........................

Ok so Cambelt and service is usual for most every three years,I also had problems with rear camcover oil leaks(quite common apparently on 348's, I also had a worrying chain clanking noise when the car was cold, once warmed up,this noise would disappear and everything was fine,or so I thought........................

A phone call has been received evry day so far since Wednesday when it was picked up as to the progress of the problems............Intially they thought it was a front bearing belt tensioner, then it was a broken valve spring....Nope......it was definately from the oil pump chain drive area.................................

A day later,the engine was out...........sump off,and then they found this noise source, a broken /sheared driftpin/slipperpin on the gear which drives the oil pump gear,somehow this has also altered the whole timing issue whith the cams and is running slightly rough......

I had noticed that the performance had dropped slightly but thought it was to do with a sparkplug/ coil issue as the tickover has been rough for months and months, in hindsight this was to do with this single pin which has sheared ,so I am off to Lancasters tomorrow to be shown the problem,and will be armed with usual cameraphone for some interesting pictures of which I shall share with you all........

Well, I have been trying to get a garage/workshop to hire out for my servicing ,I could not find anyone who was willing to loan/rent a place locally to me in Essex.......

So,after five months of mucking around I bit the bullet and started getting quotes from Indy's and then onto Main Dealers, I ended up using a Main dealer here in Essex..they said they would be competitive and were willing to match the indy's quotes........................

Ok so Cambelt and service is usual for most every three years,I also had problems with rear camcover oil leaks(quite common apparently on 348's, I also had a worrying chain clanking noise when the car was cold, once warmed up,this noise would disappear and everything was fine,or so I thought........................

A phone call has been received evry day so far since Wednesday when it was picked up as to the progress of the problems............Intially they thought it was a front bearing belt tensioner, then it was a broken valve spring....Nope......it was definately from the oil pump chain drive area.................................

A day later,the engine was out...........sump off,and then they found this noise source, a broken /sheared driftpin/slipperpin on the gear which drives the oil pump gear,somehow this has also altered the whole timing issue whith the cams and is running slightly rough......

I had noticed that the performance had dropped slightly but thought it was to do with a sparkplug/ coil issue as the tickover has been rough for months and months, in hindsight this was to do with this single pin which has sheared ,so I am off to Lancasters tomorrow to be shown the problem,and will be armed with usual cameraphone for some interesting pictures of which I shall share with you all........

Thanks Rob, interesting to see what they found. Doesn't sound ridiculously expensive compared to some things it could have been so hope it's ok. :thumbsup:

Neil,

Ferrari trained ,now workshop manager Paul, nice guy to talk with, this is the Colchester branch........

Pete,

Maybe a tad expensive, as they suggested they will have to replace the drive shaft which the pin had snapped,because its been jangling round the shaft and worn to excess, plus the chain and gears need replacing, all parts are available which is good,and I expect the offer of a site visit suggests these parts are expensive and wants me sitting down in his office :laugh:

Pete,

Maybe a tad expensive, as they suggested they will have to replace the drive shaft which the pin had snapped,because its been jangling round the shaft and worn to excess, plus the chain and gears need replacing, all parts are available which is good,and I expect the offer of a site visit suggests these parts are expensive and wants me sitting down in his office :laugh:

Sorry to hear - there was me imagining it was just replacing some cog or pin. Have I learnt nothing about these cars? :cry:

It may well be that simple,but, I find out exactly very soon, then pictures will be self explainatory , I hope...

It is an interesting one though, as the guys there have never ever seen this!, umm where have I heard this before:hmmm:

HI there Rob, will be interesting to see the photos, as i can not work out how this can change the cam timing ?

There is a gear on the crankshaft that has 2 rows of teeth, one row (the rear) runs the chain that runs the lower cam pulley and the other row (the front one) runs the oil pump.

Now as i see it this gear would have to slip on the crank to "alter the cam timing" ?

Have a look at photo 6 here
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/138749569-post108.html

HI there Rob, will be interesting to see the photos, as i can not work out how this can change the cam timing ?

There is a gear on the crankshaft that has 2 rows of teeth, one row (the rear) runs the chain that runs the lower cam pulley and the other row (the front one) runs the oil pump.

Now as i see it this gear would have to slip on the crank to "alter the cam timing" ?

Have a look at photo 6 here
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/138749569-post108.html

Good point Paul, as said I'll take some pictures ,and hopefully convey what I am told they think the problem is,and the possible causes....

Jeff , cheers for the useful advice :thumbsup: if its needed I'll let them know there's a cheaper alternative,but same quality

Well a nice half hour was spent at Lancasters, going through the diagnosis , Paul, you are correct in your assumption , the key to the whole problem was one woodruff key in top gear which drives the lower timing belt pulleys on one shaft .
You can get a three degree movement at the cambelt pulley which in turn is amplified as it goes up the length of the belt to the top pulleys , the whole of the timing goes out for the camshafts.
Photos below show the bits and pieces and the wear in slot for the key.....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392463645.131365.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392463659.126965.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392463674.023956.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392463684.810967.jpg

So all the sprockets are going to be replaced along with both chains, tensioners,the lower double sprocket which drives the cambelt pulley and oil pump have teeth which are compeltely worn to points, along with a cambelt change, camshaft 'o' rings, and camcovers repainted,and a complete engine clean should complete..

Hi jason,

Well I asked the same question as I thought it may have been a manufacturing defect ( :) ), but ,its 23 years old, that small woodruff key takes alot of pressure between the shaft and the gear, although an interference fit on the shaft between that and the gear,the minute amout of clearance needed in the manufacturing has taken its toll over the abuse certainly I've given the engine in four years or so,when I say abuse, heavy acceleration,and hard driving..

Mileage on the car is I think 52k, nothing mega,but like all mechanical things ,they all wear....................................

Any update on this? Or are they still typing out the bill???!!!!! ;-')

BTW Someone had a similar issue with a 355 on FChat. There was a right ole ding dong about it!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/fe...service-dealer-refuses-honor-warranty-13.html

Jeff, yep they updated yeserday with me, and the price has shot up another grand, I also have my cam covers back here as I did not think £100 for them to be painted was fair, so a bit of nitromoors and a 8 quid can of crinkle finish will do the job nicely I'll update on Saturday when I get to see the ol girl again:thumbsup:

Hi jason,

Well I asked the same question as I thought it may have been a manufacturing defect ( :) ), but ,its 23 years old, that small woodruff key takes alot of pressure between the shaft and the gear, although an interference fit on the shaft between that and the gear,the minute amout of clearance needed in the manufacturing has taken its toll over the abuse certainly I've given the engine in four years or so,when I say abuse, heavy acceleration,and hard driving..

Mileage on the car is I think 52k, nothing mega,but like all mechanical things ,they all wear....................................

Hi there Rob, i would say it is possible the ring nut was not tightened up that well last time ? as all the key does is put the cam belt pulley in the right place, the torque on the ring nut pushes it against the back of the shaft and it is this that should drive the pulley. It sounds like it has been floating around on the shaft.

Looks like it is good hands now though :thumbsup:

Keep us up-dated

Regards
Paul

Hi there Rob, i would say it is possible the ring nut was not tightened up that well last time ? as all the key does is put the cam belt pulley in the right place, the torque on the ring nut pushes it against the back of the shaft and it is this that should drive the pulley. It sounds like it has been floating around on the shaft.

Looks like it is good hands now though :thumbsup:

Keep us up-dated

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your advice,not knowing how all these parts were actually held onto the shaft until you have now explained,I shall mention this when I'm up there Saturday again,as i'm returning my camshaft covers....