What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Testarossa

Jampye

:grin:
So, Hi everyone,
Great forum, I’ve been reading lots of great information on here...
I’m about to buy my first Ferrari (about time) an 86 Testarossa... so any buying tips, things to look for etc would be great.
Also if anyone is in the East Anglia area and would recommend a decent place for servicing that would be cool.
Thanks,
Jason

Ps I’m new to forums in general so please bear with me....

Welcome & enjoy

OK so we must assume you are having an independant ppi done to tell you everything that is wrong with the car and that you have done enough reading to understand what you are doing

Not many current owners here but you could take a look at some of the older posts by Barabus and yellowtr

If you still need more there's a vast well of knowledge here https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/forums/boxers-tr-m.90/

Do not assume you'll be able to get local servicing - your car is thirty years old and there's not enough of them to justify that much current experience

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?42248-Testarossa-purchase

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?58795-Testarossa-vs-348-GTB-GTS-Spyder

Last edited:
Not sure if you've already researched it, but check to see if the diff has had the upgrade to the 512. The TR diffs are ticking time bombs!

Also, not sure on what mileage your thinking but 1st gear is sometimes an issue which needs a gearbox rebuild for.

Thanks for the response Jos, I’m buying through Shiltech, they have been servicing the car Since 2010, major service, belts etc last year and a full inspection report pre-sale. They seam to have a good reputation even a few very positive comments on this forum about them so hopefully I’m in good hands...

Not sure if you've already researched it, but check to see if the diff has had the upgrade to the 512. The TR diffs are ticking time bombs!

Also, not sure on what mileage your thinking but 1st gear is sometimes an issue which needs a gearbox rebuild for.

I’ll check the diff with them, thanks for the tip... low mileage, 13K, 2k since last years major service...

Would still have an independent inspection...

Many owners move the cars on when some ‘Amber’ warnings on certain components are highlighted often by a reputable Indy. They decide not to have them done (usually financial) and they get passed on to a new owner. The trouble is with ‘amber’ status is it’s supposed to be
advisory but it usually turns red early in your ownership. I have had this with every used Ferrari I have owned until I started getting inspections done by my local franchise dealer. I am lucky as mine is Classiche approved so can evaluate older cars too.

At the age of car you are looking at chassis integrity would be my number 1 issue as things like suspension arms can be like Swiss Cheese once stripped of paint. The Ferrari market is full of cars that present amazingly well for their age but don’t be drawn in by this - get deep inside and don’t let your heart rule your head (too much).

Good luck with the search.

Not many buyers at the moment so you can afford to be a Diva despite what people tell you.

I would suggest test driving a few different models before you commit. Its often said "dont meet your heros" and I have found the same with cars, driving your dream car can shatter the dream. Whilst driving a Testerossa was "fun" I was so pleased to be driving my 430 home. Not sure what sort of money you are thinking of spending but you will probably have lots of different and/or "newer" models in scope. Also it might be easier to sell on a 308/328 rather than a Testerossa when you want to change etc.

On the Testerossa fuse boxes can be an issue, as they are a poor design and badly made. This can give all manner of problems - a potential electrical fire ANYWHERE in the car - and difficult to find electrical faults as you go chasing a particular circuit on the wiring diagrams then discover the fault has been caused by random fuse box shorting out on a different circuit (with a higher current rating so the fuse keeps blowing or the loom catches fire !!. As an example a friends TR had an electrical problem with the window switches that set fire to the loom :shocked:). You cant see all the circuit board in the standard fuse box so making it even more difficult to track faults. There are several companies that do upgraded fuse boxes......... there is a reason for this !!

There were also some problems with clutch slave cylinders (About 3 years ago ??) as no seals were available from the factory and some company made some replacements which also leaked. I would want to do some research on this before committing to buy as its something that will need doing at some time soon. (The seal was used on some other models, and at one stage Lovetts had a few cars in bits waiting for someone the produce a seal that worked)

I have also seen oil leaks from the rocker box covers, along with very poor repairs involving industrial quantities of silicone goo. MY friends TR leaked oil like the Exon Valdez :thumbsdow

Finally how big is your garage ??? TR these are huge :laugh: Brave choice for a first Ferrari !!

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully soon ownership!!

As mod says, get somebody else to do the ppi even if you have to ship the car somewhere. Getting the current company that services it to inspect is a conflict of interest no matter what there reputation.

I’m not sure who would be good for a testerrosa but my first port of call would be Tim at walkersports. I’m sure others can advise/make recommendations who know far more than me.

Whilst the cost of potential shipping and ppi may seem steep, I suggest you look up the price of a set of new wishbones and then make your decision. Been there done that, got the t shirt (should have come free with what the wishbones cost me!!)

Don’t get the wrong impression, it’s not doom and gloom, ownership for me has been great fun and I’ve met great people, just put a little investment up front as it will mitigate the risk of heartache and a dented wallet later!

Good luck, and as they say, a post is worthless without pictures !!!

PPI wise you won’t need to ship - pretty much all the indies that do them travel to the car. No dealer should ever mind an independant ppi being undertaken and I’d always have one done.

+1 on Tim from Walkersport. If I needed a ppi done he’s the guy I’d use.

Would still have an independent inspection...

Many owners move the cars on when some ‘Amber’ warnings on certain components are highlighted often by a reputable Indy. They decide not to have them done (usually financial) and they get passed on to a new owner. The trouble is with ‘amber’ status is it’s supposed to be
advisory but it usually turns red early in your ownership. I have had this with every used Ferrari I have owned until I started getting inspections done by my local franchise dealer. I am lucky as mine is Classiche approved so can evaluate older cars too.

At the age of car you are looking at chassis integrity would be my number 1 issue as things like suspension arms can be like Swiss Cheese once stripped of paint. The Ferrari market is full of cars that present amazingly well for their age but don’t be drawn in by this - get deep inside and don’t let your heart rule your head (too much).

Good luck with the search.

Not many buyers at the moment so you can afford to be a Diva despite what people tell you.

Good advice, they are going to lift it for me to inspect the underneath and supply me with a full inspection report, it’s tough deciding between the different cars for sale at the moment, always fancied a single mirror early model and there’s only 2 right hand drives for sale at the moment... one low miles and one over 50k...I’m leaning towards the low miles just because I’m planning on keeping this.

I would suggest test driving a few different models before you commit. Its often said "dont meet your heros" and I have found the same with cars, driving your dream car can shatter the dream. Whilst driving a Testerossa was "fun" I was so pleased to be driving my 430 home. Not sure what sort of money you are thinking of spending but you will probably have lots of different and/or "newer" models in scope. Also it might be easier to sell on a 308/328 rather than a Testerossa when you want to change etc.

On the Testerossa fuse boxes can be an issue, as they are a poor design and badly made. This can give all manner of problems - a potential electrical fire ANYWHERE in the car - and difficult to find electrical faults as you go chasing a particular circuit on the wiring diagrams then discover the fault has been caused by random fuse box shorting out on a different circuit (with a higher current rating so the fuse keeps blowing or the loom catches fire !!. As an example a friends TR had an electrical problem with the window switches that set fire to the loom :shocked:). You cant see all the circuit board in the standard fuse box so making it even more difficult to track faults. There are several companies that do upgraded fuse boxes......... there is a reason for this !!

There were also some problems with clutch slave cylinders (About 3 years ago ??) as no seals were available from the factory and some company made some replacements which also leaked. I would want to do some research on this before committing to buy as its something that will need doing at some time soon. (The seal was used on some other models, and at one stage Lovetts had a few cars in bits waiting for someone the produce a seal that worked)

I have also seen oil leaks from the rocker box covers, along with very poor repairs involving industrial quantities of silicone goo. MY friends TR leaked oil like the Exon Valdez :thumbsdow

Finally how big is your garage ??? TR these are huge :laugh: Brave choice for a first Ferrari !!

Hi, thanks for all the info, I’ve took a 308 out recently, great car just a little too ... ummm hard to put my finger on it, bit of a posh go-kart if that makes sense... I was / am looking for more of a GT feel... older the better but with the 512BB being out of reach and the Testarossa always being a favourite I figured it’s time to commit... :hmmm: clutch slave issues will be part of my conversation on inspection along with diff and a few other potential issues that have been bought to my attention.

Good advice, they are going to lift it for me to inspect the underneath and supply me with a full inspection report.

Just as a general point for other readers and not specifically about your purchase (I happen to know Geoff and the guys at Shiltech well), that’s very different from getting an independant ppi. Unless you have a long relationship with the dealer I’d always go the ppi route.

PPI wise you won’t need to ship - pretty much all the indies that do them travel to the car. No dealer should ever mind an independant ppi being undertaken and I’d always have one done.

+1 on Tim from Walkersport. If I needed a ppi done he’s the guy I’d use.

Just emailed Tim, thanks for the advice....

Hi, thanks for all the info, I’ve took a 308 out recently, great car just a little too ... ummm hard to put my finger on it, bit of a posh go-kart if that makes sense... I was / am looking for more of a GT feel... older the better but with the 512BB being out of reach and the Testarossa always being a favourite I figured it’s time to commit... :hmmm: clutch slave issues will be part of my conversation on inspection along with diff and a few other potential issues that have been bought to my attention.

Be careful on the low miles vs. High miles.

Take this as it’s meant (all who read). Many - not all - Ferrari’s are owned by people literally living a dream. For many it’s the peak and reward of their life often for many years of hard work. Alternatively it could be the bedroom poster effect car that they have always promised themselves and now deserve. Having said all that NO Ferrari is a low cost thing either to buy or maintain. Cars of the era you are considering are a long long way from modern cars no matter what the mileage’s. Some are low miles because their owners have huge wealth and a large collection of cars mean they are all low mileage. In my two decades of Ferrari owning experience the majority are not. The are ornaments that get an occasional outing then tucked up in bed again slowly degrading through lack of use underneath but polished to within an inch of their lives above the skin. Classic is an immaculate car running on 20year old tyres! Cars of this era cost a lot to run as being thinly disguised race car components they were not engineered for 100,000 miles plus. Their performance meant that many components were literally on the edge of what was possible to supply with a 12month warranty. A complete history file is therefore invaluable to see on a few cars even if you don’t buy them because - as you are saying it’s a keeper - you will be able to see what it’s costing to own and run. The charitable way of describing the norm with these cars is that the are ‘rolling restoration’ type cars were items wear with use and are replaced as time and funds allow. I run a modern V12 and it has never cost less than £10k a year in parts and servicing but I drive it 3,000 plus per year and as designed for. It is therefore possible that the higher mileage car is in much better condition than the low mileage car. I have been down both routes before and know how tempting it is to not buy-on-condition but trust me for long term enjoyment this IS the mantra you should stick by. As was suggested a couple of grand invested in the purchase process is nothing and could be wiped out in the first service.

Good luck

Be careful on the low miles vs. High miles.

Take this as it’s meant (all who read). Many - not all - Ferrari’s are owned by people literally living a dream. For many it’s the peak and reward of their life often for many years of hard work. Alternatively it could be the bedroom poster effect car that they have always promised themselves and now deserve. Having said all that NO Ferrari is a low cost thing either to buy or maintain. Cars of the era you are considering are a long long way from modern cars no matter what the mileage’s. Some are low miles because their owners have huge wealth and a large collection of cars mean they are all low mileage. In my two decades of Ferrari owning experience the majority are not. The are ornaments that get an occasional outing then tucked up in bed again slowly degrading through lack of use underneath but polished to within an inch of their lives above the skin. Classic is an immaculate car running on 20year old tyres! Cars of this era cost a lot to run as being thinly disguised race car components they were not engineered for 100,000 miles plus. Their performance meant that many components were literally on the edge of what was possible to supply with a 12month warranty. A complete history file is therefore invaluable to see on a few cars even if you don’t buy them because - as you are saying it’s a keeper - you will be able to see what it’s costing to own and run. The charitable way of describing the norm with these cars is that the are ‘rolling restoration’ type cars were items wear with use and are replaced as time and funds allow. I run a modern V12 and it has never cost less than £10k a year in parts and servicing but I drive it 3,000 plus per year and as designed for. It is therefore possible that the higher mileage car is in much better condition than the low mileage car. I have been down both routes before and know how tempting it is to not buy-on-condition but trust me for long term enjoyment this IS the mantra you should stick by. As was suggested a couple of grand invested in the purchase process is nothing and could be wiped out in the first service.

Good luck

Thanks, your obviously speaking from a few years experience.... the concern with the 50k + miler was in 10 years I would expect it to be pushing 80 / 90 k and that’s adding up...

hopefully the ppi will be a positive report, I need to figure out the obvious gap in service history but this is the history I’ve been advised of so far... all good / reputable service agents so fingers crossed it will all be good...

Annual service carried out by Maranello Ferrari on 15/08/1988 at 2,172 Miles
12,000 Mile service carried out by Maranello Ferrari on 15/08/1989 at 3,369 Miles including belts
New clutch fitted by Nick Cartwright Ferrari on 08/01/1991 at 5,359 Miles
Gemini Alarm fitted by Graypaul Ferrari Loughborough on 16/04/1991 at 5,742 Miles
3,000 Mile Service carried out by Graypaul Ferrari Loughborough on 31/01/1994 at 7,260 Miles including belts and underseal
Annual service carried out by Nick Cartwright Ferrari on 07/06/2004 at 9,557 Miles including belts
Major service carried out by Shiltech Ferrari on 13/07/2010 at 10,407 Miles including belts
Oil service carried out by Shiltech Ferrari on 05/09/2013 at 10,694 Miles
Oil service carried out by Shiltech Ferrari on 30/07/2015 at 11,322 Miles
Major service carried out by Shiltech Ferrari on 21/04/2017 Miles including belts
Just four owners from new, current keeper since December 1990!

I was / am looking for more of a GT feel... older the better but with the 512BB being out of reach and the Testarossa always being a favourite I figured it’s time to commit... :hmmm:

Go for it....I was in the same boat and could still be looking if I listened to all the negatives about these cars, however as long as you understand and except these are old cars and expensive to run, you'll love it.

Ive just taken mine out this morning, and there is no better feeling than being in such an iconic and gorgeous looking car. Give me this over my newer ones any day! :)

Been out in my 348 this morning and loved it! Just a big go kart!! (I don’t care it’s not as fast as a welsh diesel mini!!!).

But as said this age of car, like anything else, best thought of as a “rolling” restoration. My boat is the same and once you get your head into that space the enjoyment certainly goes up.

As well as the model specific points, don’t forget the “usual” stuff. On that age I’d want all perishables replaced, or budgeted to be replaced. Coolant hoses, brake lines, fuel lines etc. But a good ppi will bring all this out!

Still remember the first time I saw a testarossa, awesome.

Unless the PPI picks up a time bomb dead wallet issue :thumbsdow, then I would be sort of happy buying a car thats had the same owners since 1990. I am always wary about buying any car thats had loads of owners as that would suggest a car thats ***** to drive, or has just been re bodged to sell onto the next victim.

Thanks guys, all the warnings about potential issues and the positives about owning such an iconic car, can’t wait till Tuesday... hopefully photos of my new car to follow soon...

I’ll keep you posted...

Thanks, your obviously speaking from a few years experience.... the concern with the 50k + miler was in 10 years I would expect it to be pushing 80 / 90 k and that’s adding up...

hopefully the ppi will be a positive report, I need to figure out the obvious gap in service history but this is the history I’ve been advised of so far... all good / reputable service agents so fingers crossed it will all be good...

Annual service carried out by Maranello Ferrari on 15/08/1988 at 2,172 Miles
12,000 Mile service carried out by Maranello Ferrari on 15/08/1989 at 3,369 Miles including belts
New clutch fitted by Nick Cartwright Ferrari on 08/01/1991 at 5,359 Miles
Gemini Alarm fitted by Graypaul Ferrari Loughborough on 16/04/1991 at 5,742 Miles
3,000 Mile Service carried out by Graypaul Ferrari Loughborough on 31/01/1994 at 7,260 Miles including belts and underseal
Annual service carried out by Nick Cartwright Ferrari on 07/06/2004 at 9,557 Miles including belts
Major service carried out by Shiltech Ferrari on 13/07/2010 at 10,407 Miles including belts
Oil service carried out by Shiltech Ferrari on 05/09/2013 at 10,694 Miles
Oil service carried out by Shiltech Ferrari on 30/07/2015 at 11,322 Miles
Major service carried out by Shiltech Ferrari on 21/04/2017 Miles including belts

That reads very much like edited highlights...

I’d want to know discs, pads, suspension, bushes etc.