What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Tyre choice (using non N-rated tyres on an old Boxster)

Kyodo

I've had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres on my 2001 Boxster S for a number of years now. Yesterday, I ordered a set of Michelin PS4 tyres in the correct sizes and speed rating (I think!) from Black Circles. Today, I just received an email stating:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"The tyres you have selected may not be suitable for your car as these are not Porsche approved units.
All Porsche approved tyres are designated by an “N” rating. This denotes that Porsche has approved the tyres for use on their vehicles and these tyres are constructed specifically to suit the power, suspension and handling characteristics.
We have come across instances where Porsche may not honour the warranty on vehicles fitted with non-approved tyres and as such we always recommend the use of the specific fitment. We have also had instances where customers have identified poorer performance as the results of switching away from “N” rated tyres."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now I know my previous were 'N' rated but does this really matter? My car is 18 years old so the warranty isn't an issue and I'd have thought a modern high-end Michelin PS4 would be more than sufficient for typical road use, bearing in mind the advances in tyre technology over the last 20 years.

Should I be concerned or just fit and forget? I can't imagine that they wouldn't be sufficient.
Thanks, M.

It doesn't matter unless you are trading it in to a Porsche main dealer which given the age of the car is unlikely. I ran my 993 'S' on non N Rated Michelins, no issue whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I wan't too bothered about the N rating. I hear elsewhere that new PS2 tyres are better than the standard PS4 for the Porsche though. I even found a handy website with masses of data collated into a leaderboard and sure enough, the PS2 comes out in first place. As I've always been happy with the handling and grip, I don't want to risk any step backwards in terms of performance. I managed to take a different route through the Black Circles website and finally found the PS2, only slightly higher in price but I'm not concerned with the cost.

I'll phone them tomorrow and switch my order from PS4 to the PS2 I think.
:)

Maybe check with your insurance first?

In the event of something happening, they could cause issues with a claim as tyres were not approved for Porsche?

Also look at it from the perspective that either tyre will be vast multiples better than 2001 tyre technology when the car was new. Same principle applies to many old cars, new tyre compounds give vastly better grip and traction and are probably the biggest single improvement you could make on such a car.

I think both points are valid. I did wonder about insurance (any excuse not to pay...) when I bought my last set of PS2's years ago so rather than mess about, I just replaced like for like N-rated. I also believe, as you say, either will be better than the equivalent tyres manufactured 10-20 years ago.
BUT, if, as other owner's hint that a new set of PS2 will be better for my car than a new set of PS4, that's all I need to know. The fact they'll be N-rated is a (almost negligible) bonus.

I have a 1996 Boxster and replaced the old tyres with Michelin non-N rated tyres - in fact the same tyres I run on my 360. My 944Turbo which has a lot more torque runs Proxes which are also not N rated.

Its not surely an insurance requirement and I'd ignore it. If the tyres are good enough for other non-Porsche cars, many of which will be more powerful (the 360 has twice the BHP), they they're good enough for the older Porker.

I used non-N rated tyres on my 996 turbo once and it made sod all difference.

Also just fitted non-McLaren rated Michelin to the 650 and they are vastly better than the McLaren rated Pirelli that I replaced.

Cool. I'd thought about swapping my order to PS2 but I've decided to stick to the PS4's which I ordered. Thanks.

I put Michelin Pilots on my 550 not long ago. Michelin stated that they did not do a tyre suitable for the 550 so ended up fitting 'Porsche" Pilots and they are a revelation compared to the Ferrari approved tyres I had been using, but thy were specified from 2002 when the car was built, or possibly even 1996 when the car first came out.

I put Michelin Pilots on my 550 not long ago. Michelin stated that they did not do a tyre suitable for the 550 so ended up fitting 'Porsche" Pilots and they are a revelation compared to the Ferrari approved tyres I had been using, but thy were specified from 2002 when the car was built, or possibly even 1996 when the car first came out.
From distant memory I seem to recall you could specify Bridgestone, Pirelli or Michelin on a new order but if not stated otherwise the default was Pirelli. For me, across all my V12's the Michelin was by far the best tyre suited to the balance of the car.

Might sound funny but there are cultural issues here. Germans in particular take seriously the tyres specified in the car handbook ie the homologated tyres. You wont get through the inspection if you have anything else. Brits rarely take notice of this sort of rule following. And some car companies specify a "special" version of a tyre for their car which, syrprise surprise, is usually only available from their dearelers at a high price. I'va always taken the view that provided the speed and weight ratings are OK, size correct etc, the I use them and have never had a problem. A tyre dealer if asked has to be more cautous for obvious legal reasons.