What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

What 5,000 litres of petrol looks like

rivarama

Might not be Greta Thunberg’s favorite picture, but the F430 just hit 30,000km (or 18k miles)... that’s about 5k litres of petrol gone quenching 500 horses’ thirst :)

Might not be Greta Thunberg’s favorite picture, but the F430 just hit 30,000km (or 18k miles)... that’s about 5k litres of petrol gone quenching 500 horses’ thirst :)

If she really knew what she was talking about instead of that obviously scripted nonsense her handlers write for her she would know that Ferrari as an OEM actually has one of the lowest lifecycle emissions footprint of any car maker.

1) the principle component in a ferrari is Aluminium which is infinitely recyclable and the most abundant element on earth
2) Ferrari’s have one of the lowest average fleet mileages of any marque
3) They also have one of the highest % levels vehicles made still on the road and not in landfill somewhere
4) By comparison to most regular car makers they are not even remotely relevant.

Having said all of that they were also one of the first to do real and genuine carbon offsetting which has seen for example in china their entire fleet is still fully carbon offset (they plant high carbon capture trees).

I myself planted a giant redwood (the best natural carbon capture device known) with my day 40years ago so by UN climate panel standards myself and all my possible offspring will be carbon neutral for the next 4,000 years. I have also helped design and build wind farms and my company has already brought many electric / hybrid vehicles to life. My conscience is very clear and so should yours be.

My conscience is very clear and so should yours be.

Despite flying 100k miles a year, my conscious is clear on that front.

I feel a lot worse about emptying our recycle bin full of plastic everyday because all retailers package everything with plastic: all fruits, vegetables, meat, bread, yogurt, cheese, milk etc... everything.
In addition to witch hunting diesel cars, they should properly crack down on plastic packaging!

Despite flying 100k miles a year, my conscious is clear on that front.

I feel a lot worse about emptying our recycle bin full of plastic everyday because all retailers package everything with plastic: all fruits, vegetables, meat, bread, yogurt, cheese, milk etc... everything.
In addition to witch hunting diesel cars, they should properly crack down on plastic packaging!

Total lack of sensible and rational data on the matter.

Here in the UK virtually none of our plastic goes to land fill and it is recycled. If you are worried about it ending in the ocean know this 90% of the worlds oceanic pollution comes from ten rivers. 8 of them are in China and the other two are in India. You and your domestic plastic are not even remotely part of the problem.

If you do a list of things harming the planet in descending order you will have to wait a long while until you get to domestic plastic. Similarly with emissions.

Global shipping is by far and away the biggest thing we can tackle. Ocean going ships bringing endless amounts of crap we don't need from China and with the worst polluting propulsion systems to boot.

Re-shoring must become a thing soon if we really want to make a difference instead of futile actions like swapping straws. Economic nationalism is actually a very green thing to do but the agitated left keep leaving this out of their demands.

UK energy mix is a good place to start where we have made massive gains in domestic heating emissions and power generations. I personally worked on onshore wind generation to make it economically viable without government subsidy and our progress both on-shore and offshore has been world leading. Ironically killing coal made Maggie T one of our strongest PM's on green issues...

Because our electricity is increasingly coming from low carbon sources electric vehicles for us will be good thing. Anyway for a personal green halo just plant a high carbon capture tree or too. Giant Redwoods will make you and your offspring carbon neutral for 4,000 years or so. All Ferrari's sold in China are now made carbon neutral this way.

Let’s face it, the number one problem is over population and one that is growing!

Until you sort that, no amount of child labour to strip mine cobalt for “zero” emission cars will save anything!

(Global shipping has a long way to go; unfortunately it’s driven by consumer demand; everybody wanting their crushed avocado on toast and a governing body with a number of countries that don’t give a sh**. Interesting article here about it https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-50827604)

Total lack of sensible and rational data on the matter.

Here in the UK virtually none of our plastic goes to land fill and it is recycled. If you are worried about it ending in the ocean know this 90% of the worlds oceanic pollution comes from ten rivers. 8 of them are in China and the other two are in India. You and your domestic plastic are not even remotely part of the problem.

If you do a list of things harming the planet in descending order you will have to wait a long while until you get to domestic plastic. Similarly with emissions.

Global shipping is by far and away the biggest thing we can tackle. Ocean going ships bringing endless amounts of crap we don't need from China and with the worst polluting propulsion systems to boot.

Re-shoring must become a thing soon if we really want to make a difference instead of futile actions like swapping straws. Economic nationalism is actually a very green thing to do but the agitated left keep leaving this out of their demands.

UK energy mix is a good place to start where we have made massive gains in domestic heating emissions and power generations. I personally worked on onshore wind generation to make it economically viable without government subsidy and our progress both on-shore and offshore has been world leading. Ironically killing coal made Maggie T one of our strongest PM's on green issues...

Because our electricity is increasingly coming from low carbon sources electric vehicles for us will be good thing. Anyway for a personal green halo just plant a high carbon capture tree or too. Giant Redwoods will make you and your offspring carbon neutral for 4,000 years or so. All Ferrari's sold in China are now made carbon neutral this way.

Well recycling consumes so much energy that it’s not necessarily brilliant for the environment either. I remember reading a UN backed study saying that recycled paper was actually worse for the environment when looking at the whole process (collection, sorting out, crushing, disposal of tainted water etc...), than making brand new paper...
I think it talks more about Overpopulation.... anything done for 8bn people will have bad effect for the planet even if vegan !!

Ha, my FF has just gone over 18k miles and I reckon it’s used 10,000 gallons judging by the fact it does about 300feet before needed more super unleaded!!

Well recycling consumes so much energy that it’s not necessarily brilliant for the environment either. I remember reading a UN backed study saying that recycled paper was actually worse for the environment when looking at the whole process (collection, sorting out, crushing, disposal of tainted water etc...), than making brand new paper...
I think it talks more about Overpopulation.... anything done for 8bn people will have bad effect for the planet even if vegan !!

The population problem is solving itself. When you give women control of their own fertility and provide basic healthcare in childbirth the human race has normalised on replacement numbers or less...
Worth a watch
https://youtu.be/2LyzBoHo5EI

Are you blaming women and modern medical development then?

No I am suggesting that population growth has an end to it that we can now see clearly due to reliable birth control and other advancements. It’s also in large part how the UN’s millenium goals on poverty were achieved ahead of schedule.