What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Which tyres for a 308

sweeni

My 1983 308 GTS/Q.V. came with the notoriously expensive metric TRX wheel & tyre combo. The tyres are now in need of replacing which at Superformance prices will be £1310, frankly ridiculous. A set of Speedline 16” wheels with modern Continental tyres is £1504 at Superformance, and at Tyre Save in Deeside with Michelin Primacy 3 tyres is £1305.
But my problem is which tyres should I go for? Fronts are 205/55R16, rears 225/50R16 giving plenty of choice but the car would have been set up to work with the 1980s metric TRXs so am I just going to have to take pot luck and choose the tyre with the nicest tread pattern?

I’d have thought any modern tyre is going to perform far better than the 1980s tyres the car was originally setup for so I very much doubt it’ll matter all that much. Sure, the grip levels will be different but it’ll be an incrase on all 4 corners and I’m guessing a reduction in unsprung weight. All of this should be good.

Re what tyre, I fit Continental Sport Contacts to the 348 last time and was pleasantly surprised. Not sure about on the track but for on the road I much prefer them to the P Zeros I had before. Just ride the bumps better and no inclination to tram-line which the P Zeros did a little.

I ran my 308 on 16's with Toyo Proxes and it handled beautifully.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I’d have thought any modern tyre is going to perform far better than the 1980s tyres the car was originally setup for so I very much doubt it’ll matter all that much. Sure, the grip levels will be different but it’ll be an incrase on all 4 corners and I’m guessing a reduction in unsprung weight. All of this should be good.

Re what tyre, I fit Continental Sport Contacts to the 348 last time and was pleasantly surprised. Not sure about on the track but for on the road I much prefer them to the P Zeros I had before. Just ride the bumps better and no inclination to tram-line which the P Zeros did a little.

All of this ^^^^

Based on your prices shown I would buy the Michelin package and keep the old wheels and tyres for anyone who wants an ornament and values originality > safety.

Otherwise sell on the old wheels and offset some of your costs. It costs that kind of money to shoe many dailies these days.

All of this ^^^^

Based on your prices shown I would buy the Michelin package and keep the old wheels and tyres for anyone who wants an ornament and values originality > safety.

Otherwise sell on the old wheels and offset some of your costs. It costs that kind of money to shoe many dailies these days.

Agree and this is probably the route I will take.
Regarding the originals, the wheels of which are in excellent condition, I intend to keep for ‘showing ‘ although once the tyres are at the point of being beyond use I may sell them.

Agree and this is probably the route I will take.
Regarding the originals, the wheels of which are in excellent condition, I intend to keep for ‘showing ‘ although once the tyres are at the point of being beyond use I may sell them.

I think you will soon tyre (groan) of changing them over. Does it actually make the car score higher at shows having unsafe tyres on?

This car sold recently by AV engineering had tyres that were a little old on it...

https://youtu.be/5WSOovW0SQU