What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Why a filter is better than a softener for car washing

MoreThanPolish

'I have a water softener so why do I need a water filter?'

This is a not unreasonable question as both systems improve the quality of your mains water but in very different ways.

A water softener alters the make up of the dissolved minerals in the water whereas a water filter actually removes them to produce pure water with no dissolved mineral content. The resin in a water softener exchanges calcium and magnesium minerals for sodium based minerals. The limescale that you see around the house is basically calcium carbonate and a water softener converts the dissolved calcium carbonate to dissolved sodium bicarbonate, which is much more soluble than its calcium equivalent and does not form limescale and therefore allows soaps to work better and stops scale build up on things like bath taps, showers and shower screens and any other water using device.

A Race Glaze water filter uses a slightly different resin that doesn’t exchange anything, but simply absorbs all of the dissolved minerals in the water leaving nothing behind.

For example, if you took an average 1 litre jar of hard water, the same volume of softened water and also filtered water, and then evaporated away the water and measured what was left, the hard water would typically have between 280 and 380 milligrams of minerals left behind (for a typical hard water area), the same for the softened water (only the minerals would be in a different form) while the filtered water would have less than 5 milligrams, probably closer to 1 milligram of dissolved minerals.

It is these minerals that cause spotting on the car once washed and while the spots that occur with softened water are generally paler and not as noticeable as with hard water, they still occur. The filtered water with the close to zero mineral content will leave no spots however, as there is nothing left in the water to cause the spots.

Race Glaze Refillable 0ppm Water Filters are available in 3 sizes at www.raceglaze.co.uk, from £99.00.

Not sure if mine needs refilling, Mark, haven't used it this year and I'm anal enough that I test the water coming out for ppm, but if it does how hard is it to refill and how much do refills cost? Mine is a stand up one that looks like a medium sized fire extinguisher.

For anyone reading I highly recomend Mark's filters. I splashed out on a gucci looking expensive alternative before switching to a More athan Polish one and it was useless. When it finally stopped working at all I had to throw it away. Used More Than Polish's filter for a couple of years so far and it took practically all the particles out of very hard water.

Not sure if mine needs refilling, Mark, haven't used it this year and I'm anal enough that I test the water coming out for ppm, but if it does how hard is it to refill and how much do refills cost? Mine is a stand up one that looks like a medium sized fire extinguisher.

For anyone reading I highly recomend Mark's filters. I splashed out on a gucci looking expensive alternative before switching to a More athan Polish one and it was useless. When it finally stopped working at all I had to throw it away. Used More Than Polish's filter for a couple of years so far and it took practically all the particles out of very hard water.

+1. One of the best things I have bought. Going to be using it tomorrow:thumbsup:

If your using a TDS meter then it must read <10ppm for it to be effective, the resin is quite expensive and if your incoming water is >300ppm then it will get exhausted quite quickly, which is why I use R.O. filters to pretreat the water before it enters the resin filter.:thumbsup:

Yep, it's a TDS meter I'm using. Just looked back through my photos and found 2 I took at the end of 2014 when I got a filter from More Than Polish. Water out of our tap:

IMG_5250.jpg

Water once it has passed through the filter:

IMG_5251.jpg

Pretty much the best advert I can give - it was 100% effective :thumbsup:

Can't see the answer to this here?

Hi Folks

Normally on a '1 washed car per week' basis the resin supplied with the original filter will last about a year. Pete obviously needs to get out more...

Resin refills cost £45 and it a simple case of unscrewing the top of the filter, chucking the old resin into the landfill bin, rinse out the dregs and pour new resin in.

You need to insert the long pipe first, tape over the top to prevent resin going into it whilst keeping it central, and re-screw the cap on. It takes no more than about 5 minutes. We do sell a Refill Kit which comprises a cap for the pipe and big funnel which is quite popular and can prevent spills.

Ideally you need to run at least some water through it every 2-3 weeks, even if not actually doing a full car wash, if you dont you can get bacteria buildup, which smells like rotten fish. I can advise on an individual basis how to easily and very cheaply solve this (costs about 5p).

Sounds good, Mark. Mine's been sat for months and been in there a while so may as well change it now. Will put in an order shortly :thumbsup:

I used mine today. I've had it about a year and have used it about half a dozen times. It works very well, not perfect but teh small number of residual dryin g marks are quickly sorted.

Geoff - what is an R.O. filter?

F

Ah - OK. Friend of mine has one of them and supplies me with coolant water. But they are not cheap!!

Welcome to my world:laugh:

20170315_131726_resized_1.jpg

What we have here is a single pre-filter, feeding a 5 bar pump, which then supplies the GE Merlin unit, which comprises one plain filter, then two R.O. filters (the 3 white units) and finally into the resin based de-ionisation filter, the whole system is supplied by an Ion Exchange water softener:thumbsup:

I used mine today. I've had it about a year and have used it about half a dozen times. It works very well, not perfect but teh small number of residual dryin g marks are quickly sorted.

Geoff - what is an R.O. filter?

F

Hi Francis

The reverse osmosis filters extend the life of the de-ionisation media e.g. if your mains supply is 300 ppm, as per your TDS meter (IMHO anyone using the de-ionisation units MUST have a TDS meter) the resin has to completely remove all of the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) this process can exhaust the resin very quickly, in my experience a 7 litre vessel will not last me more than 3 months, I wash 4 cars once a fortnight and that's only for the final rinse, after I've used soft water as the main rinse.
One option that I have considered is to be already treated water from my window cleaner, he has a business where he supplies independant window cleaners, but I'll need to buy in bulk, 1000 litres and get it delivered, one tonne is too much for my Jag to carry:shocked:

Hi Folks

Normally on a '1 washed car per week' basis the resin supplied with the original filter will last about a year. Pete obviously needs to get out more...

Resin refills cost £45 and it a simple case of unscrewing the top of the filter, chucking the old resin into the landfill bin, rinse out the dregs and pour new resin in.

You need to insert the long pipe first, tape over the top to prevent resin going into it whilst keeping it central, and re-screw the cap on. It takes no more than about 5 minutes. We do sell a Refill Kit which comprises a cap for the pipe and big funnel which is quite popular and can prevent spills.

Ideally you need to run at least some water through it every 2-3 weeks, even if not actually doing a full car wash, if you dont you can get bacteria buildup, which smells like rotten fish. I can advise on an individual basis how to easily and very cheaply solve this (costs about 5p).

Hi Mark

What size is your resin refill at £45?

Our experience and mine is that a car washed weekly will provide, at UK average water hardness of 300ppm, around 50 rinses at c. 7 litres used per rinse.

So your experience of only 3 months use must be down to harder water, or rinsing off bigger than average cars. Or too many cars !

Our refill bags are designed to refill a 7L filter, so you need 2 for our 14L unit. We also sell a 25L bag for heavier users.

Geoff,

Surely RO alone is good enough for washing cars?

You must move to leafy Cheshire. I use 'tap' (from Lake Vyrnwy, just like in our Bombay Saphire) and never have any issues ;)

Geoff,

Surely RO alone is good enough for washing cars?

You must move to leafy Cheshire. I use 'tap' (from Lake Vyrnwy, just like in our Bombay Saphire) and never have any issues ;)

Hi Mike

Unfortunately RO filters only get down to approx 18ppm and the ideal range for spot free drying is <10ppm.

I couldn't afford to move to Cheshire:grin:

Hi Mike

Unfortunately RO filters only get down to approx 18ppm and the ideal range for spot free drying is <10ppm.

I couldn't afford to move to Cheshire:grin:

depends what RO your using, i have one for my marine aquarium that puts out 2ppm before it goes through the DI resin to bring it down to 0ppm

this is new to me what exactly are you all using the filtered water for?

depends what RO your using, i have one for my marine aquarium that puts out 2ppm before it goes through the DI resin to bring it down to 0ppm

this is new to me what exactly are you all using the filtered water for?

See post #12 - depends on feed water TDS - rinsing car sfter washing :thumbsup:

The use of these filters is to give a final rinse off of the tap water residues/beads left on your car after washing it.

This means you dont have to dry it, leaving nature to evaporate the water left for you, which saves time and a whole step in the wash process which can add marring.

Interestingly, as the water contains no dissolved solid, it doesn't stick to the paintwork as much as tap water, so there is less left anyway.