What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Zinc plating brake discs

swnyradar

I fitted new front discs last year but they had no paint or any protective coating on them and have since started to rust on all the non-contact surfaces which doesn't look very nice..

A fellow cs member I met last year recommended I get them acid dipped to remove the surface rust and then zinc plated to remedy this, with the idea that the only few micron thick coating will come off the braking surface as soon the pads come into contact during braking, leaving the rest of the disc protected and corrosion free.

I've found a local firm to do the dip/coating but thought I would see if there are any potential issues with this process?

I fitted new front discs last year but they had no paint or any protective coating on them and have since started to rust on all the non-contact surfaces which doesn't look very nice..

A fellow cs member I met last year recommended I get them acid dipped to remove the surface rust and then zinc plated to remedy this, with the idea that the only few micron thick coating will come off the braking surface as soon the pads come into contact during braking, leaving the rest of the disc protected and corrosion free.

I've found a local firm to do the dip/coating but thought I would see if there are any potential issues with this process?

I'd just take them off, give them a quick sand, degrease, clean and rattle can them in a zinc primer. It is correct if you overspray or coat them it will clean off.....Pagid supply discs with a coating on now that is also supposed to help the pad bed in.
You're not supposed to paint the mating face where the disc meets the wheel.

Brembo supply two kinds for the 360. Ones without the coating which are about £75 and ones with which are £120.

Last edited:
I'd just take them off, give them a quick sand, degrease, clean and rattle can them in a zinc primer. It is correct if you overspray or coat them it will clean off.....Pagid supply discs with a coating on now that is also supposed to help the pad bed in.
You're not supposed to paint the mating face where the disc meets the wheel.

Brembo supply two kinds for the 360. Ones without the coating which are about £75 and ones with which are £120.

Spot on! ;) zinc primer is the exact colour match...

Well here is the before and after zinc plating.

I would have painted if there wasn't so much corrosion in all the nooks and crannies... and certainly will do the next time I have new discs.

Cost £30-00 for the 2 discs for cleaning and plating.

IMG_0647.jpgIMG_0680.jpg

Managed to spend Valentines morning with the mistress:laugh: and here they are re-fitted. Look the biz:thumbsup:

Be interesting to see how the finish holds up over time

IMG_0715.jpgIMG_0720.jpg

I think the zinc will wear off on the mating surface withing a few tanks of fuel, but where it doesnt touch it will remain and go dark grey and reduce the corrosion, hi temp paint will do the same, but not last as well,

I would be very interested to know how they perform/last based on mileage. so please post up,

regards
Scott

Those discs look superb. I'm a real novice to all of this stuff. Please could I just ask specifically what type of paint i should buy to do the same with mine. Cheers

Those discs look superb. I'm a real novice to all of this stuff. Please could I just ask specifically what type of paint i should buy to do the same with mine. Cheers

If you don't want to plate then. Just use a zinc primer rattle can.

I just did my new ones a couple of weeks back.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461236058.662639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I just add that the various shower enclosures and the like that I've fitted over the years have taught me that carefully applied/stretched insulation tape makes curved masking really clean.
(I mean absolutely no offence to your masking Mike, it must've taken ages!)

Can I just add that the various shower enclosures and the like that I've fitted over the years have taught me that carefully applied/stretched insulation tape makes curved masking really clean.
(I mean absolutely no offence to your masking Mike, it must've taken ages!)

Offence taken! ;)

Just make sure you mask into the contact area so the pads sweep the excess off. It doesn't have to be neat. The pads do that for you.

In reality there is no need to mask off. I just try to minimise the contamination of the pads.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk