What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

599GTB - Modificato Project

Bad news, pressure test revealed leak from the radiator.

New rad required.

So this years annual and MOT threw up leaking rad that was too shaky and in an awkward position to repair plus weeping cam covers that needed fresh gaskets along with fitting the new MAF’s. Even with my preferential rate and self sourced parts it was a £5600 bill so V12 ownership costs continue as predicted. I did just over 4,000 miles last year of which 3k were the Mille Miglia trip. Interesting fact is it passed the MOT emissions test (just) on the pre-cats only. So running with std back boxes and ‘test pipes’ at the moment. This is actually quite close to the GTO Set-up and sounds very nice. Nice long test drive planned for Sunday.

So the test drive was not without incident.
23 miles drove no issue, 23 miles return no issues, third key cycle ‘ping’ CEL light and ‘engine control system failure. Cue sleepless night as Brain goes into full problem imagineering mode before we put it on SD3 today for the following error code.
52533212-1EFA-4922-9B3B-1C18302E2BC0.jpg
This was present on both banks so given we have two new MAF’s, sensors etc can only really be software now. Quick trawl through the history of the dealership and sure enough there was a software upgrade at some point needed when fitting newer Bosch MAF’s. This makes the case for using main dealer as the next recourse is the factory for an update. We need to send this info so they know what the baseline is.
F015636D-2A55-47A2-9422-73B5CE673280.jpg
Unlike other marques Ferrari policy is not to automatically upgrade software as and when as their policy is if it ain’t causing errors leave well alone. Given that my MAF and all sensors have been changed it’s likely a compatibility issue with my software and new components. The 599 had a big software upgrade at a build number just before mine and then another when the HGTE package came out. Let’s see what the factory send to sort it.
Watch this space...

The intake air temp sensor is incorporated into the MAF so I think you are spot on with with your diagnosis. The other cause of course is a faulty MAF, but given the error is on both banks, that's less likely.

The intake air temp sensor is incorporated into the MAF so I think you are spot on with with your diagnosis. The other cause of course is a faulty MAF, but given the error is on both banks, that's less likely.

Agree we all stood around it this morning and said it’s the only sensible conclusion - famous last words of course!

Let’s see what martino and the road car team in Maranello come back with...

So new software loaded and collected the car today. Will likely have to complete three driving cycles to be sure it’s solved the problem. Still nice weather so shouldn’t be a problem.

This version is the latest software produced by Ferrari for the motronic 5.2 for the 599. It is actually a revision of the HGTE version so nice upgrade by default.

Yet another main dealer benefit as files have to come from Italy direct and then loaded with two diagnostic machines simultaneously.

060A8F73-AB30-47A3-A2D1-33FA1ABEB6A7.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mod, the 599 doesnt have 5.2 motronic, its fitted with ME7.
Also it cannot be uploaded to both ecu's simultaneously as you can only upload one ecu at a time using the Sd3.
Im very interested in the outcome of this update so please keep us informed. :thumbsup:

Good stuff. As an aside I have started to document software versions, hardware versions, and release dates for the F430. I haven't got anywhere yet with actual data capture, but I see keeping backups as an essential part of long-term ownership. The reality is there will come a point where this kind of thing isn't available, and the modules - although generally reliable- don't always last forever.

Good stuff. As an aside I have started to document software versions, hardware versions, and release dates for the F430. I haven't got anywhere yet with actual data capture, but I see keeping backups as an essential part of long-term ownership. The reality is there will come a point where this kind of thing isn't available, and the modules - although generally reliable- don't always last forever.

Mark,
Any idea what the motronic recovery menu on Xdiag does?
I’m not brave enough to try....

ANS: in BOLD

Hi Mod, the 599 doesnt have 5.2 motronic, its fitted with ME7.

OF COURSE _ MY BRAIN FOG AS I WAS TALKING F355 AT THE TIME OF WRITING
Also it cannot be uploaded to both ecu's simultaneously as you can only upload one ecu at a time using the Sd3.

IT WAS QUITE A PROCEDURE THAT WAS SENT FROM THE FACTORY NOT THE NORMAL APPROACH

Im very interested in the outcome of this update so please keep us informed. :thumbsup:

I HAVENT DRIVEN IT YET BUT MY SON HAS - WILL REPORT SOON

Agree - important work

Well: I was expecting this:-

“A further enhancement involves engine control, which includes accelerator logic with modified mapping that enhances the rapid increase in revolutions along the wide engine use field.”

And...

That’s exactly what I now have.

The accelerator mapping is a lot more responsive and has lost some sneeze factor at the top of its travel. The engine spins up even faster than before which is a trait I love in a car hence me spending crazy money with Mine’s in the past on a built engine.

Looking for an HGTE TCU now for the last F1 software and multiple downshifts. Any help sourcing greatly appreciated.

Just a PS.
The start-up screen series runs a difference sequence now.

Before the key turn used to trigger a sequence of checks until a Check OK appeared with a graphic of the engine. Now that graphic does not show until the engine actually starts.

Small but subtle change probably giving a visual clue to the later software for a dealership or those in the know.

Update - only one 599 TCU is left in stock for the 599 at the factory. Although for the later gen car like mine it is only gtb spec i.e. SuperFast 1.

Back in the day the HGTE upgrade was a TCU as opposed to the engine ECU which was a reflash so...

Looks like a breaker will be the way to get my hands on one unless someone can reflash with the appropriate software.

Mark have you been under the skin of these software versions?
...same as 16m / scud?

Update - only one 599 TCU is left in stock for the 599 at the factory. Although for the later gen car like mine it is only gtb spec i.e. SuperFast 1.

Back in the day the HGTE upgrade was a TCU as opposed to the engine ECU which was a reflash so...

Looks like a breaker will be the way to get my hands on one unless someone can reflash with the appropriate software.

Mark have you been under the skin of these software versions?
...same as 16m / scud?

Do they not remanufacture them?

The CS TCU I bought was made in 2016. They must still be making those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they not remanufacture them?
The CS TCU I bought was made in 2016. They must still be making those.

I think the CS TCU has become a recognised and much demanded upgrade for many 360’s. With V8’s being made in the numbers they are it seems like a viable market. Not sure if anyone is in the market for this but me. The factory HGTE upgrade / options were all done and delivered so unless some deadstock exists somewhere OR someone has the ability to reflash the software it may well be a needle-in-haystack job.

If you know the hardware version is the same for both variants.
I’d say Eric355 May be able to flash it for you....

Something in the dim part of my brain recalls that superfast F1 in some V8's had subtley different syncro/gears ? to enable superfast operation ?? If so you might have problems with the 599 box