What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

599GTB - Modificato Project

Update - only one 599 TCU is left in stock for the 599 at the factory. Although for the later gen car like mine it is only gtb spec i.e. SuperFast 1.

Back in the day the HGTE upgrade was a TCU as opposed to the engine ECU which was a reflash so...

Looks like a breaker will be the way to get my hands on one unless someone can reflash with the appropriate software.

Mark have you been under the skin of these software versions?
...same as 16m / scud?
The late 301 TCUs are in short supply and Ferrari have made them a restricted part. Hopefully that changes over time and the short supply is just due to a lack of demand...it's the reason I stocked up on them for my car.

Your car has 'SOFAST IV with Superfast shift' which is based on the CFC301 - the same as MY08 F430/Scuderia/16M - which supports flashing via diagnostics. It is typically 100ms but can go down to 85ms on the 599. Your car will support the software change (85ms) on the current gearbox and F1 hardware.

I will be pleasantly surprised if Ferrari will flash software not associated with your VIN; my understanding is every software request is verified and authorised by HQ.

SOFAST IV with Superfast shift 2 has a multitude of hardware changes to support 60ms, but you're not looking at that.

The late 301 TCUs are in short supply and Ferrari have made them a restricted part. Hopefully that changes over time and the short supply is just due to a lack of demand...it's the reason I stocked up on them for my car.

Your car has 'SOFAST IV with Superfast shift' which is based on the CFC301 - the same as MY08 F430/Scuderia/16M - which supports flashing via diagnostics. It is typically 100ms but can go down to 85ms on the 599. Your car will support the software change (85ms) on the current gearbox and F1 hardware.

I will be pleasantly surprised if Ferrari will flash software not associated with your VIN; my understanding is every software request is verified and authorised by HQ.

SOFAST IV with Superfast shift 2 has a multitude of hardware changes to support 60ms, but you're not looking at that.

Thanks for that mark, yes the HGTE F1 upgrade has no hardware changes from chassis number 122779 and up. Shift times are down from 100ms to 85ms but most interesting to me is the addition of the held paddle rapid downshifts. The GTO shift time came down to 60ms so one assumes that needed the gearbox hardware upgrades. My latest ECU software upgrade was as described as the software came from the factory and they had ‘cause’ to authorise it - my car would not get on with the latest MAF’s from Bosch. Need to fine a technical reason for my gearbox to require a software upgrade. I have found a 2009 TCU but finding / verifying its software version and that of the HGTE is beyond my ability at present. Parts suppliers will tell you anything to move a slow moving part like a TCU.

So my ultimate project goals are settling down now and this car is a hint at my final goal.
9FCA59A9-4D35-42FD-AF55-D57E47CCA4E0.jpg
Again my rules are Ferrari only parts BUT make something unique and optimised for fast road work. The front of this car is a little too aggressive to my tastes but some additional front aero is on the cards. The FXX buttresses are a must as I love the self stalling aero and the way it changes the rear aesthetic to something uniquely functional. The factory have agreed to me fitting a set but they will be being made to order. Today I scored a set of GTO wheels which allow for a generation better tyre fitment (MPSS) and a big increase in contact patch front and rear. The tyres that came with them paint a sorry picture of GTO ownership. These are 8 year old tyres anyway so will be binned but just look at how hard they have been used...
8F63D30B-BDAA-438B-9FB9-88284842E1EB.jpg

The part in question is the first generation 599XX air guide blades which are there to give additional rear axle downforce specifically at a certain speed range. Having driven my 599 hard now for 12k miles and knowing a bit about aerodynamics I know exactly why this appears on the XX cars.
Here are some more shots:
BA50D85F-F7AD-41BA-83B7-81B91C10DEA8.jpg
Rear winglet with downturned fence to hold air on the wing...
22B54609-B49A-41B2-8729-DBEF38AC0E7D.jpg
Backside shot
D47A3E6D-8DAC-48B9-A684-83BCC1DBA4B4.jpg
The air bleed slot is very important to limit the effect of the winglets downforce above a certain road speed
0B142955-1DFD-4772-B1F8-1CA523B158FC.jpg
The parts are fully hollow hand laid carbon done in VERY low volumes hence the finish is typical F1 car finish.
XX parts are only orderable by XX owners and chassis numbers so this is where factory contacts help and the mods are being done with full support from the factory.
See next post for why...

Last edited:
...So look closely at this 599 GTO it has the XX blades right?
5451BD4C-349C-4FB0-BD8D-4C416F875F58.jpg
Wrong - they are fake
4FF84711-477F-4C7E-8C22-881F7CAF02C0.jpg
This winglet does not have the air bleed slot and so instead of having a limit to its effect to solve the specific issue it was designed to it will keep on working when not designed to and actually create front end lift at very high speed. The car was on this years Tribute and of concern to the Ferrari Technicians who mentioned it to the owner. The fake parts are also heavy and add weight and the real parts are ultralight and produce an effect specific to the rear axle centre line.
917D56E8-28C3-4554-8705-B75EA0C084D9.jpg
This is why my policy is always genuine parts unless you have something that is measurably better. These fake parts are a good example of modifying that makes things worse. Would not like to drive this car above 120mph

So the laundry list of items from this years Mille Miglia is as follows:-

1) Rear tyres will see out the summer but need replacing then
2) The rear offside wheel bearing looks like it is leaking oil / grease onto the wheel - investigation required
3) We took a hit on the near side wing mirror from an Italian in a people carrier way over the centre of the road - his mirror exploded like the Death Star ours cracked its housing but all else is good
4) The high level brake light rattled loose so needs re-securing
5) typically After 3,300 Miles our support car threw up a big stone when back in the UK and cracked the windscreen. It will need replacing which is a BIG job on the 599 and as a result good cover is essential for what will be a circa £5k job. After all it’s a 200mph car so it’s to be expected. My car had an air leak over 120mph from the factory so at least that will get sorted.
6) Road rash is pretty much all over the car so I will review paint with Chartwells / Lloyd’s when they fit the new mirro housing and aero blades.

Will post pics when work is underway

So the Beast of Brescia reaches evolution #3
D3F5D14A-B936-4917-9542-4CF4609DA8F8.jpg
New windscreen, New wing mirror casing, GTO wheel set with MPSS, FXX rear pillars.
We also changed the oil after the Mille Miglia and did a full traffic light check - all green.

I am really really pleased with the look and especially the wheels which I wasn’t sure about. I think it needs a front splitter to complete so am sketching some designs as we can’t find a track aero pack one for the gtb. The rear aero parts needed a lot of paint prep to reach a high standard of finish. Many XX parts are racing
Vehicle finish. Annoyingly we forgot to weigh the parts but just in your hands it’s a few kilos out. Tyres are old and although stored in a dark cupboard for some years I will refresh them next year.