What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Ferrari 348 engine bay and rear end restoration.

Not posted any updates here for a while. Due to a misplaced thumb drive Ive lost a ton of pics. I think it may have fallen into a waste paper bin by the side of my desk as its nowhere to be found. Being lazy I hadn't backed them up.. Anyway, I have some, if not the best, so will be posting up over the coming weeks. At least I can keep the thread up to date..

Starting head assembly..

20220914_111325.jpgDSC02805.jpgDSC02807.jpgDSC02809.jpgDSC02810.jpgDSC03329.jpg

Is this to do a cambelt service or is there some particular job your doing?

BTW I have digital torque wrench envy! :)

Yep. Service plus the other stuff Ive posted in the thread since last August. Fuel pumps etc...Ive actually finished it all a while ago but Ive been busy with my head into other stuff other than cars. Thought it about time to update the thread. There were no dramas during the process. Apart from me losing a load of pics.

Torque wrench is Snap On. Had it for years.. Very good. Accurate. Worth the money. :thumbsup:

I dread to think what a snap on wrench costs. I just have the Halfords professional bought with their trade car but would love a digital one.

I dread to think what a snap on wrench costs. I just have the Halfords professional bought with their trade car but would love a digital one.

Ive had mine for 17 years..Cost new around £130 then. They were on offer I think. Looks like around £400 now for the new style..:shocked:

To be fair the Halfords Professional tools are pretty nice, in fact very nice for the money :thumbsup:

ps, it's great to see the engine pics :)

Last edited:
Checking and setting the cam belt tensioner position using the cable tie method. There is a pin on the back of the tensioner housing which must sit in a slot on the block. It limits the adjustment. The tension spring has to be compressed in a vice first and then put the cable tie around it to hold it shut.. When done I removed the tensioner still with the cable ties on and put it aside for later. Last thing fitted when putting the belt on. Found this to be the way to go. Set up and ready.

DSC02685.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

DSC02683.jpg

New tensioner bolts.

DSC02727.jpg

Cam belt loosely fitted ready for the tricky bit. I removed the tensioner at this point..
Check TDC again. Align and lock the cams.
Good plan is to use cable ties as you feed the belt around the cam pulleys from left to right. Stops it popping off. Ideally you would have minimal slack on the belt between the pulleys then end up with any slack at the tensioner side. This worked out ok for me but you could probably play with the cam pulley locating pins to do this. Pays to remove the pulleys and clean these pins as they could be difficult to remove. I had my pulleys re plated so had all that apart. Two of the pins were very tight and would have been impossible to remove in with the cams fitted to the engine. Note the cut out on the back of the washer which holds the pin. Worth adding a punch mark so you know this position is correct.. See pics.

DSC02815.jpg

cam pulley .jpg

cam pulley 2.jpg

Cam bolt washer and pin. .jpg

DSC03300.jpg

Slack belt as shown. You can fit the tensioner easily then. Wiggle the rear cover around to get it under then bolt it up. Cut off the cable ties and release the main centre bolt for initial tension. Recheck all marks and TDC. All ok.

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02821.jpg

I note Nick that, like me with my 355, you are not ready to pay the Ferrari tax on the timing belt. This must be the same belt, with writing in manufacturer's blue instead of the Ferrari yellow. I doubt that there will be two different production lines for the same belt! Great to see these photos and a pity that many were lost. Keep 'em coming. Nice work.

I note Nick that, like me with my 355, you are not ready to pay the Ferrari tax on the timing belt. This must be the same belt, with writing in manufacturer's blue instead of the Ferrari yellow. I doubt that there will be two different production lines for the same belt! Great to see these photos and a pity that many were lost. Keep 'em coming. Nice work.

Ha. Sure Ron. Superformance supplied. Dayco belt. Don't be fooled by that yellow writing ... :thumbsup:

Leak down test. No reason to suspect anything wrong but did one anyway as the kit was at hand...Happy enough with that. Not bad for a 32 year old engine. Cams out but I checked all the valve clearances before hand. Good. I had reset these previously.

DSC02696.jpgDSC02694.jpgDSC02695.jpgDSC02697.jpgDSC02698.jpgDSC02702.jpgDSC02701.jpgDSC02699.jpg

All brake pads removed and treated with anti squeal. General clean up of callipers , discs etc.. Adjust handbrake shoes..Bleed brakes..

DSC04257.jpgDSC04258.jpgDSC04268.jpgDSC04270.jpg