What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Russ's Cafe Bar

Don’t sigh theatrically, Mod. You said that your city centre postcode is one of the least polluted in the UK. It’s not. Vast swathes of the country are less polluted than your city centre postcode. You said it directly and you were wrong. For once in your life just say “My mistake, I was wrong.” rather than arguing that you actually said it wasn’t bad or that a 2 is only slightly more than a 1.

Much if not most of the country is a 1, your city centre postcode is not “one of the least polluted in the UK.” It’s not bad, granted, but it’s more polluted than much of the country. The middle of Sleaford, a medium sized town near us is only a 1 as are all the villages and small towns I’ve checked out this way. The middle of the city of Lincoln (granted it’s a small city and only just worthy of the title......) is only a 1, Mod.

Now if you had said “my city centre postcode is one of the least polluted city postcodes in the country” I’d agree with you. But over most of the UK we enjoy better air quality than you lot living in cities. We do have postcodes out here you know :)

Just unbelievable.

Listen you need to have a serious look at why you react so hysterically to my posts.

This is a consistent pattern and I think it's like you eat too much red meat or something.

I never said my city centre post code is less polluted than where YOU live or rural areas in general.

I said it is one of the least polluted areas of the U.K.

On a scale of 1-5, a 2 compared to say those scoring a five or four would be one of the lower polluted areas right?

You seem to be not only projecting something onto me constantly or be very poor at reading comprehension.

I posted because I was surprised at the score for my urban postcode not seeking to play silly schoolyard top trumps nor prove a hypothesis about urban vs. Rural areas. That's your ****img construct on my post to be frank.

Come on - out with it exactly what IS your problem with me?

You don't seem to behave like this with anyone else?

I wasn’t being in the least hysterical. You seem to be but I wasn’t and still aren’t. I even went to the trouble of chucking a couple of friendly smilies in there. And neither was I playing top trumps or whatever else you think. I have no problem with you, Mod, I just said I didn’t agree with your point that the middle of Manchester was less polluted than the majority of the UK (in terms of postcodes). Data seems to support my view but it matters not really.

Just chill. People are allowed to disagree with you and point out why. I agreed with some of what you said, disagreed with other bits and said why I disagreed. No big deal.

I agree with others on here on many things but disagree on other points. The difference isn’t whether I disagree with them or how I do it (which is often a darn sight more polite than when you do I’d have to say). The difference is that they simply debate the fact without acting like any challenge to what they say is in some way an attack on them. It’s not. I disagreed with what you said. I didn’t and don’t have any problem with you.

I cant see what Pete is saying that looks remotely hysterical. On the face of it it just looks like Mod said "my postcode is one of the least polluted in the UK", clear fact is its not.

Reality is that the "data" is probably an algorithm factoring in postcode density/number of main roads/motorways within a radius of the postcode/etc, so wont be totally accurate, and I cant imagine the earthsorce company doing air sampling at every postcode. Cities will just have more air pollution with volumes of traffic, often stationary - so spewing out crap into the atmosphere.

Mod with your technical background I was surprised you even posted the comment in the first place :hmmm:

I cant see what Pete is saying that looks remotely hysterical. On the face of it it just looks like Mod said "my postcode is one of the least polluted in the UK", clear fact is its not.

Reality is that the "data" is probably an algorithm factoring in postcode density/number of main roads/motorways within a radius of the postcode/etc, so wont be totally accurate, and I cant imagine the earthsorce company doing air sampling at every postcode. Cities will just have more air pollution with volumes of traffic, often stationary - so spewing out crap into the atmosphere.

Mod with your technical background I was surprised you even posted the comment in the first place :hmmm:

On the face of it that was not what I was saying - I was merely surprised that the assumption (and mine at the time) based on a simple maxim of city=bad / rural=good is clearly not true.
If rural is near motorway / dense road networks then my city centre postcode could well be cleaner.

One thing we can perhaps all agree with is London contains all the worst places...

Meanwhile back in my patch we have Andy Burnham and various other worthies up here trying to push an emissions charge and pollution tax when the whole of the city is only level 2.

That’s the kind of madness you get when people don’t use data nor it’s nuances to make decisions.

On the face of it that was not what I was saying - I was merely surprised that the assumption (and mine at the time) based on a simple maxim of city=bad / rural=good is clearly not true.
If rural is near motorway / dense road networks then my city centre postcode could well be cleaner.

One thing we can perhaps all agree with is London contains all the worst places...

Meanwhile back in my patch we have Andy Burnham and various other worthies up here trying to push an emissions charge and pollution tax when the whole of the city is only level 2.

That’s the kind of madness you get when people don’t use data nor it’s nuances to make decisions.

Don’t disagree with any of this and like I said my local (albeit small) city is largely if not entirely a 1 and like Manchester, which as I said is not bad at all, does this with no need for congestion charging or ‘polition taxes’. Lincoln doesn’t even have a complete ring road so much of the traffic has to pass through the city. I’m sure there are areas outside cities where it is worse, near power stations possibly? Maybe along major routes? I agree though that this inconvenient fact is unlikely to sway the likes of Andy Burnham from trying to scare people into giving up more money and/or freedom.

Sorry you took my earlier posts as you did, Mod. Maybe they can be read in that light but other than a light-hearted dig at you city folk (I’ve lived in London and Washington DC so it really is just a light-hearted dig) they weren’t intended that way. Perhaps the occasional inevitable result of conversing via only text? When I insert a :) or ;) it really means I’m not saying it in an agressive manner and am indeed saying it with a bit of a smile. If you read my earlier posts again, you know, the ones before you called me aggressive, stupid and hysterical :) (note the smilie....) you’ll perhaps see they could be taken diffetently :thumbsup:

The Defra/Met Office on is interesting.

Having look at the forecast for my area, Friday for example, the country side of the Cotswolds is worse than City Centre Bristol.

Looking at the FAQ, its only a forecast model based on algorithms, it does not appear to take in actual pollution level readings. I'm no environmental scientist, but the defra/metoffice forecast looks to be a bit of a generalisation for a broad area; noting all the inaccuracies/assumptions etc. that will be in any model.

Whereas the EarthSense is a historical view based on a sample data set, (over what period?) but again processed through some algorithms.

I would treat both as general guides only, at best. But anybody with any common sense would be able to compare two different locations, and give a rough prediction based on weather forecast. That said, given the apparent common sense of the average public, more of this sort of thing is required and we like pretty pictures anyway!!!

Don’t disagree with any of this and like I said my local (albeit small) city is largely if not entirely a 1 and like Manchester, which as I said is not bad at all, does this with no need for congestion charging or ‘polition taxes’. Lincoln doesn’t even have a complete ring road so much of the traffic has to pass through the city. I’m sure there are areas outside cities where it is worse, near power stations possibly? Maybe along major routes? I agree though that this inconvenient fact is unlikely to sway the likes of Andy Burnham from trying to scare people into giving up more money and/or freedom.

Sorry you took my earlier posts as you did, Mod. Maybe they can be read in that light but other than a light-hearted dig at you city folk (I’ve lived in London and Washington DC so it really is just a light-hearted dig) they weren’t intended that way. Perhaps the occasional inevitable result of conversing via only text? When I insert a :) or ;) it really means I’m not saying it in an agressive manner and am indeed saying it with a bit of a smile. If you read my earlier posts again, you know, the ones before you called me aggressive, stupid and hysterical :) (note the smilie....) you’ll perhaps see they could be taken diffetently :thumbsup:

Fair enough

Think I just met Rosemary Smith!

Just had the car out to wash it, given a break in the weather and a very distinguished lady stopped at the end of my drive. She wound the window down so I wondered over and she said, "Lovely Ferrari, which one is it". I told her "348" and she said, "I thought so!" She knew about the 348 so I was a bit surprised. I asked if I could help, and she said, "Just scouting parking for a meet tomorrow at Castle Coombe" So I asked what the meet was, she said "old rally buddies" as she use to navigate in Africa in the world rally!. Unfortunately she wondered off, so I've had to do some googling to find female navigators of the time; fairly sure it was Rosemary Smith.

Having just listen to an interview of her on youtube, she is one of those people I'd love to hear all about her life; very modest and fascinating!!!

New ****ter (daily) car day for me.
Nothing special just a base Mercedes CLA (AMG Line 200) with DCT. For me though it's my first brand new car in 24 years.
Oh and it's red. Red is free :laugh:

God willing, I will give it a go. Milkshaker0007, aka Paul, where abouts in Brum you based? I live near Coleshill by the NEC.

Tell me about it, it's over running for another YEAR!!!!
They are doing work underneath the motorway repairing the concrete structure mainly plus top surface relaying

The roads around the area are always busy as we all try and avoid junctions 1 & 2 around busy periods.
There is no easy way around it.

But I don't care at the moment as in sunny Cornwall:grin:

Best £16 I’ve spent in a long time! Bonus is the missus has agreed to go to ikea to get some frames. Will nicely fill some wall space in the garage.
F05CF9F0-C951-46A5-9DD7-5D666C81E134.jpeg

Best £16 I’ve spent in a long time! Bonus is the missus has agreed to go to ikea to get some frames. Will nicely fill some wall space in the garage.
View attachment 153530

Going to IKEA - now she really DOES deserve a medal for that - unless of course she comes back with a load of flatpacks to keep you in swearwords for the next half dozen weekends :shocked::laugh: