What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

Wheel Arch Stone chip film

swnyradar

During my viewing of the 458, I noticed on an invoice that one of the rear wheel arch anti-stone chip tapes had been replaced by a main dealer during a service. I noticed that it hadn't been fitted correctly leaving a small section exposed - compare both sides below: (no doubt applied by the apprentice and not checked:thumbsdow)

IMG_2593.jpg IMG_2594.jpg

I previously had the same issue with the 430 and had paid well over £100-00 for the genuine Ferrari wheel arch kit (I still have the complete 9 piece set as I used them as a template to make my own out of the same 3M film ferrari use - will be posting for sale or if anyone's interested please PM me).

Searching for a kit for the 458 I came across the website below and I'm going to order from them at a much more reasonable £30-00 for a kit with free delivery.

Spec from their website:

The Clear Film

The clear film we use is a high quality German made, stone guard specific protection film.

150 Microns Thickness
Highly Transparent
Glossy Finish
Self Adhesive
20 nm / 25 mm Adhesive power

They have quite a selection for different models, for different parts of the cars and other marques, so may be of interest to folk:

https://www.aliath.co.uk/collections/ferrari

Last edited:
During my viewing of the 458, I noticed on an invoice that one of the rear wheel arch anti-stone chip tapes had been replaced by a main dealer during a service. I noticed that it hadn't been fitted correctly leaving a small section exposed - compare both sides below: (no doubt applied by the apprentice and not checked:thumbsdow)

View attachment 151442 View attachment 151443

I previously had the same issue with the 430 and had paid well over £100-00 for the genuine Ferrari wheel arch kit (I still have the complete 9 piece set as I used them as a template to make my own out of the same 3M film ferrari use - will be posting for sale or if anyone's interested please PM me).

Searching for a kit for the 458 I came across the website below and I'm going to order from them at a much more reasonable £30-00 for a kit with free delivery.

Spec from their website:

The Clear Film

The clear film we use is a high quality German made, stone guard specific protection film.

150 Microns Thickness
Highly Transparent
Glossy Finish
Self Adhesive

They have quite a selection for different models, for different parts of the cars and other marques, so may be of interest to folk:

Mike nice find let us know how well they "Fit"

tbh Mike mine were fitted pretty poorly from new. Look forward to seeing how you get on with them

Spec from their website:

The Clear Film

150 Microns Thickness
Highly Transparent
Glossy Finish
Self Adhesive

Thanks Mike, I've just ordered a kit for my 360:thumbsup:

Fitted the new film over xmas along with a few other cleaning jobs on the car.

Here's how the kit arrived:

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

I touched up the area that had been exposed prior to fitting the film, the result is very good - before and after (with film fitted) pics:

IMG_2640ed.jpg

IMG_2593.jpgIMG_2671.jpg

The only difference from OEM is it is slightly shorter (apprx 1 inch) but not an issue really as the top part doesn't see any stones:

IMG_2646.jpg

Thanks

for the thread and link to the firm with reasonably priced pre cut film. I have ordered some for the headlights on my Cali:thumbsup:

Ive just bought a set to fit on the front end of my MC Stradale. Did you apply using the 'wet' method and if so did you use the Isopropanol in the mix?

Ive just bought a set to fit on the front end of my MC Stradale. Did you apply using the 'wet' method and if so did you use the Isopropanol in the mix?

I did the wheel arches dry but they are very straightforward. I would suggest that a front end would have to be done wet with all the curves and angles.

These seem to be the required tool to get all the air out:
https://www.aliath.co.uk/collections/application-accessories/products/soft-edge-film-applicator-card-accesory

Had a crack at it last night and although it came out fine, its not something I'd want to do on a regular basis! Aliath were excellent though, even giving me some spare strips to make my own inner wing protectors. They didn't feel the Isopropanol was necessary.

DSC06130.jpg

Had a crack at it last night and although it came out fine, its not something I'd want to do on a regular basis! Aliath were excellent though, even giving me some spare strips to make my own inner wing protectors. They didn't feel the Isopropanol was necessary.

View attachment 152298

Looks very good - what is the fit like? i.e are the edges of the film visible or have they folded over the edge of the panels?

Some more photos of the Car please! Looks a very nice colour :thumbsup: Bianco Fuji?

The fit is pretty good. The film panels were cut to fold around all edges, that's were the nightmare was, trying to fold it 3-4 different directions in some cases. Made a few modifications as necessary.

Car is great. I wasn't struck on the Bianco Fuji initially, but now I love it. It was the very last Stradale to roll off the factory line before they changed to the MY18. Makes no sense economically when compared to say an E63 Edition1 for the same money, but Im sold every time I start her up.

20180316_165855.jpg