What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 DIY "Restoration"

I did want to swap the headrest over to the driver's seat as my original was in a bit better condition but after practicing on the old seat I decided against it. The theory is you lever up the plastic surrounds on the headrest and once they are free you can jiggle/pull the headrest out but when I tried to extract the plastic surrounds they deformed and you cant buy new ones - total fail :-(

To try and help matters I squirted a bit of WD40 down the gap between the slider and headrest leg as originally I thought you can just pull them out but no dice there!

IMG_1241.JPEG

Eventually I tucked some long handled thin nose pliers under the head of the plastic lug and tapped the pliers from the underside until the plug slid upwards.

IMG_1194.JPEG

As you can see the plug head got deformed doing this and they are NLA (and about £17 when they last were!)

IMG_1193.JPEGIMG_1192.JPEG

One the lug is released so far you can pull the headrest out. Thankfully this was the old seat so decided to leave things as they were on the seat in the car

IMG_1195.JPEG

HI Jeff, just read all 151 pages... wow what a journey. Just wish you had bought a vehicle lift for your own sakes!

Did I miss something but not sure if you concluded on the MAF situation - did the repaired ones solve your issues?

Also am i right in thinking that you havent done a cambelt in your ownership... that is brave!

Yes, MAF rebuild (although highly expensive) has resolved my running problems so worth doing. I did a couple of other little fixes too that I came across whilst investigating but it does look like the MAFS were 95% of the problem.

The intention was to buy a scissor lift but after a stroke and losing my job twice that's not likely to happen now - hence the sale of the car sadly.

No cambelt change I'm afraid - that was going to be the final job once I'd got a lift etc. TBH honest though the current Cambelt has only done approximately 22,000 miles and I run the car regularly. I just don't believe belts and bearings fail that quickly if the car is regularly used and I've taken the inspection caps off to visually inspect the belt and nothing looks amiss.

Thanks Malc. Had a busy day today doing some fettling :)

One of the things I don't like about the 348 when compared to a 355 is the way the inside of the rear of the front wings have like a step inwards in the colouring which just doesn't flow for me.

Front Wing.jpg

Using some flexible body tape I masked off as best as I could the line that I thought should be black using the lip on the sill cover that takes the inner arch and trying to blend it out into the arch

IMG_1385.JPEG

Masked off the surrounding area and covered the car in a paint sheet to protect it from overspray

IMG_1386.JPEG

Using my favourite paint I then applied 2 or 3 light coats to blacken the area

IMG_1387.JPEG

Was very pleased with the result and makes the car look more modern IMO

IMG_1389.JPEGIMG_1391.JPEG

Did the passenger side too

IMG_1394.JPEG

When I got my car back from the body shop they had put the wing mirror back on (the stem had started bubbling) but when it was put on the gasket had drooped a bit so I decided to remove the mirror and refit it with the gasket properly sited. It would have been nice just to buy new ones but they are £80+ VAT!!!!

Once you remove the plastic triangular cover on the inside of the door there are 3 nuts and washers holding the wing mirror on - you have to be really careful they dont drop down inside the door. After removing each nut and allowing it to stay inside the socket I used a magnetic pickup o pull the washer off.

IMG_1378.JPEG

Once unbolted you just have to disconnect the electrical connector for the wing mirror to release it from the car. The triangular seal just falls away.

IMG_1379.JPEG

There's a little piece of foam too you have to be careful not to lose.

IMG_1380.JPEG

I just used a glue gun to tack each corner in place rather than gluing the entire gasket.

IMG_1381.JPEGIMG_1382.JPEG

The hardest part of the job is bolting the mirror back on without losing any of the washers or nuts. I used the magnetic pickup to place the washer in position then pushed it on with my fingers and stuff my socket with tissue so the nut sat at the end. All very fiddley but worked in the end.

IMG_1383.JPEGIMG_1384.JPEG