What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 DIY "Restoration"

Thanks for teh tip Paul - Ill give them a call tmorrow.

After seeing something on FChat (which I cant find for teh life of me now) the only "ferrari" part is the rubber cap with the horsey on and thankfully can be removed. I wouldnt mind them buiding a set of lookalikes using my old caps to complete the look.

Cap on

IMG_0405.jpg

It just slides off

IMG_0406.jpg

Well I got word notification from FIC that my MAFS were repaired and ready for sending back. How it works is that they repair them then request payment (to including postage) and then once paid they send them back. They suggested using a carrier rather than US Post service which I agreed to as the estimated return date with a carrier is about a week. All in the bill was $646.07 ($275 x 2 MAFS + $96.07 carriage) which at todays exchange rate is £550.44 UK Pounds.

FIC_Invoice.jpg

It sounds a lot but when compared to the 2nd hand ones/cobbled together ones on eBay its the cheap otion. And they come with a warranty too. Lets just hope they dont just post me 2 new eBay MAFS!!! :-(

I'm going to try and find out what was wrong with them and what they did to repair them. I did mention to them that I had another that was badly burnt inside and they seemed to think it would be no problem to fix.

On a side note my NGK spark plugs arrived yesetrday so things are on the move :)

Feeling very, very frustrated today :-(

When I paid FIC I sent them an email requesting the tracking ID and despite a further 2 emails requesting it and about 3 phone calls (always goes to answering machine) they have still not sent me the tracking ID. I'm not unduly worries as on thursday I received a messge from UPS about my package, however...

The lady from UPS whjen she left her message spoke that fast and combined with some background echo made the message unintelligle. Depite listening to it numerous times and even downloading it to try and listen to it more carefully I cannot make it the tracking ref she quoted or what she wanted. I've rang UPS back but because I cant quote the tracking number they say they cant help me and I need to get in stouch with the sender....which I cant. Really annoyed that FIC wont supply the number and UPS are so hopeless that they cant work out the tracking ref from my address etc.

As a last resort I have asked a question to FIC through eBay (on an item unrelated) to send me a tracking number. It really shouldnt be this hard.

If you do choose to deal with FIC be prepared for very poor communication.

I dont reccomend UPS.

/Rant over

Just a thought but do UPS have an app that you can sign up to to get delivery notifications and change delivery dates etc? I know other couriers like DPD and FEDEX do. Then the app would tell you about the delivery without needing a tracking number. Might not work but could be worth a go.

Hi Pete - I think you still need a tracking number as the receiver rather than the sender :-(

Anyway, finally got through to FIC and they managed to give me a tracking number which I there and then ran through UPS tracking webpage. Still very confused as to what they wanted as he said its left the country anyway and is expected to arrive with me this wednesday. He didnt ask me for anydetails other than my phone number but they must have had that to ring me in the first place?! Bizarre!!

All very confusing - they really need to word it so its clear to the layman - I've no idea what the "required clearance information" is and reassured me I dont have to do anything.

UPS TRacking 001.jpg

UPS TRacking 002.jpg

I have a 66 mustang i have to deal a lot with companies in the USA, they are nearly always very bad at coms, if you ask them 3 questions, they answer the 1st one and ignore the others. I have been dealing with a cooling package for the mustang, quoted 4-6 weeks, paid in full 4 months down the line still not shipped, they refuse to give me a date other than lots of excuses, told them to cancel and refund me, suddenly they said they were going to send it Friday with a tracking number to follow, zip zero!

Also UPS are just the worst company to deal with, i avoid and all costs, and you will get hit for duty and vat regardless to the fact that you own them, they go on value of the parts. Hopefully you are lucky and they have put a low value to avoid the duty.

I really dont understand companies that do that???!!! Even Magncor here in the UK - I sent my old lead plus a genuine Ferrari lead next day delivery to them to see if they could make a replacement and apart from a message to say they received them I've heard absolutely nothing! :-( Why?!

Anyway, I joined the UPS membership thingy which gives better tracking and it looks like they have arrived in Stanstead. Still very confused what the clearance information is and whether I have given it.

Not sure what value they will put as IIRC I think I put £50 or somnething as what value is something that is broken??? WIll be intersting to see.

UPS TRacking 003.jpg

Your right - theyre after their pound of flesh.

I had a notice from UPS that my parecl would be delivered today between 12 and 3 so have geared my whole day around being in at great inconveniience. And nothing arrived....

I've just rang them and they sent me this really confusing form asking for VAT numbers, account numbers and a pile of other stuff I have no idea how to fill in. Just rang them now and told me to just reply to the form explaining it is my own personal property and how much it cost to repair. I have a feeling I will be paying Import and VAT on that.

The most annoying thing is that their call centre seems to be using the worst phone system in teh world as there is tons of background noise and I just couldnt understand what the chap on teh other end was saying. Really do not reccomend UPS at all if anyone is thinking of doing this.

Your right - theyre after their pound of flesh.

I had a notice from UPS that my parecl would be delivered today between 12 and 3 so have geared my whole day around being in at great inconveniience. And nothing arrived....

I've just rang them and they sent me this really confusing form asking for VAT numbers, account numbers and a pile of other stuff I have no idea how to fill in. Just rang them now and told me to just reply to the form explaining it is my own personal property and how much it cost to repair. I have a feeling I will be paying Import and VAT on that.

The most annoying thing is that their call centre seems to be using the worst phone system in teh world as there is tons of background noise and I just couldnt understand what the chap on teh other end was saying. Really do not reccomend UPS at all if anyone is thinking of doing this.

Did you have them sent to you home address (residential) OR a Business address ?

Well I got the customs bill today of £115.30 :-( On a brighter side I'm hoping to actually get them tomorrow or Wednesday.

Import_Charges.jpg

On a aanother note the other 'ebay' MAF - or should I say Alixpress arrived yesterday.

IMG_0458.jpg

As far as I can tell its identical to the ebay ones being sold. I dont know why but its slight reassuring that iot has the Bosch reference number on.

IMG_0459.jpg

View of the heating element

IMG_0460.jpg

Electrical connector - note like teh other ebay one no CO2 adjuster screw.

IMG_0461.jpg

Top view

IMG_0462.jpg

So this morning I removed my last original but suspect Bosch MAF and it replace it with my AliExpress one to combine with my eBay one.

IMG_0463.jpg

Rediculously fiddley bolts to secure the MAFS - dont lose them as they ae over £10 each! Noticeably this time I didmnthave to apply a band of insulation tape to get a snug fit into the intake hose.

IMG_0464.jpg

All fitted - eBay on the left, ALiExpress on the right.

IMG_0465.jpg

To prevent water ingress I've bought some silcone sealant from Halfords to seal the lids of the MAFS

IMG_0467.jpg

I sliced the nozzle at an angle in some vain attempt to make a neat job!

IMG_0468.jpg

Ahemm!!! Very, fiddley to do it neatly so just applied a seal first

IMG_0469.jpg

Then dipped my finger in some water and smoothed it as best as I could before wiping the excess away from teh sides.

IMG_0470.jpg

And the right side. I feel as if I should make some kind of cover/umbrella for the MAFS as they are very exposed to the elements considering they are an electrical item.

IMG_0471.jpg

Update to follow hopefully later today but got distracted with another job as usual! LOL

In the meantime I'm selling off a few bits if anyone is interested - Targa Roof, 355 wheels, old clutch etc

Sad days I'm afraid folks :-(

If anyone on here is interested just PM me as I'd much rather it went to someone on here in the vain hope I'll still get to see it! LOL

I didn't either Pete but having zero income for 9 months after my stroke then losing my job again 3 months ago with nothing in sight I really don't have a choice :-(

It's my favorite car I've ever had by far and very frustrating I didn't get to finish everything off but its just one of those things. I just hope it goes to someone on here then I still may get to see it once in a while.