What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

348 DIY "Restoration"

I think the way Ferrari supports the older models is pathetic. It has actively put me off getting anything newer; noting people are having issues with supply of parts for 599/458s. Given the exponential increase in electronics in the newer cars, this does not bode well for the future in my view.

Whilst Ferrari can do no wrong in the markets at the moment, they are forgetting a few fundamentals in my view 1) nothing is forever, 2) what goes up will come down, even in markets and c) the easiest client is a repeat client!

I think this lack of support to older models will bit them in 5-10 years time as the current crop of electronics/ sensor laden cars becomes unsupportable, on the basis of their current approach to older models.

Id be tempted to go older school if I could fit/ afford it!

Back to subject; mine had a hiccup on acceleration from time to time. Never bottomed out the cause :hmmm: There are various posts Im sure you have seen on fchat that swear by changing all the connectors to gold. Might be something to think about as a winter job; couldnt hurt?’

I think it might hurt my wallet! LOL

Plus I dont trust myself to do it right :-(

So frustrating as I'm sure I'm missing something obvious - just know I will kick myself when/if I solve it.

Just as an aside does anyone have a good pic of the lay of the

Curiously when looking at Ferrariparts website I notice they do an alternative MAF (although still rediculously expensive) bit notice the casing on it has those 2 threaded holes just like my ebay one. mmmm!!! Obviously theres a have the CO2 adjuster screw that mine doesnt but you do wonder if there is another MAF that fits. I cant help feeling we are all being rinsed on the price of these as every other car seems to have them for about £50. Ferrari tax at its finest!

Sorry Jeff, what are you looking for a picture of? may be able to help later.

Regarding the MAF, I don't doubt it. The amount charged for a new one (and the amount charged for the converted pair on ebay) is utterly bonkers when you see that very similar items for other motors made by the same manufacturer are a fraction of the price. And we're talking 1/25th for crying out loud. I notice the MAF at Ferrari parts is photographed from several different angles......... but not from an angle showing the part number. Would love to see what's written on the top.

Last edited:
I notice the MAF at Ferrari parts is photographed from several different angles......... but not from an angle showing the part number. Would love to see what's written on the top.

Exactly!!!!

Its how the "rope" looking pipes run before they connect to the oil breather pipes (yours will most probably look a lot cleaner than mine though). I moved mine yestersday from running over the fuel lines to through them but they only just miss the end of teh throttle linkages.

IMG_0344.jpg

Exactly!!!!

Its how the "rope" looking pipes run before they connect to the oil breather pipes (yours will most probably look a lot cleaner than mine though). I moved mine yestersday from running over the fuel lines to through them but they only just miss the end of teh throttle linkages.

Will try to have a look later today :thumbsup:

I think the way Ferrari supports the older models is pathetic. It has actively put me off getting anything newer; noting people are having issues with supply of parts for 599/458s. Given the exponential increase in electronics in the newer cars, this does not bode well for the future in my view.

Whilst Ferrari can do no wrong in the markets at the moment, they are forgetting a few fundamentals in my view 1) nothing is forever, 2) what goes up will come down, even in markets and c) the easiest client is a repeat client!

I think this lack of support to older models will bit them in 5-10 years time as the current crop of electronics/ sensor laden cars becomes unsupportable, on the basis of their current approach to older models.

Id be tempted to go older school if I could fit/ afford it!

Back to subject; mine had a hiccup on acceleration from time to time. Never bottomed out the cause :hmmm: There are various posts Im sure you have seen on fchat that swear by changing all the connectors to gold. Might be something to think about as a winter job; couldnt hurt?’

I agree with the above, would be tempted to go older I think. The newer cars are great but when things start going wrong you're not just looking at getting a spanner and screwdriver out to sort it. One of the things I do like about my car is that most things can be fixed relatively easily.

As mentioned I decided to check my plugs this afternoon but soon wished I hadnt bothered! LOL

All the leads came off relatively easily apart from one that broke off :-(

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

I had to hunt through my old original leads to0 find a working one - not particulary scientific but using the same plug each time I fitted to a lead an measured the resistance seperating the good leads from the bad (found one bad one).

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

So for the time being I have 7 magnecor leads and one original - I'm sure thats not going to help my testing but it will have to do until I can get a new lead.

IMG_0360.jpg

All the plugs seemed to be a consistant colour with no oddities amongstthem - I checked them againt an online chart for interpreting the colour and condition of plugs and in my opinion I would class them as normal.

IMG_0359.jpg

They were all pretty much the same so here's a sample

IMG_0356.JPEG

The other disaster is I have lost the screw on cap from one of the plugs - cant find it anywhere (I dont think its from the broken lead as if you look at 2ndpic its still on the plug). I think Ive dropped it somewhere and cantfind it - real pain as I cant find anywhere to buy them apart from link below but deleivery is a week! grrr

If anyone knows where to get these screw on caps a bit quicker let me know!

https://www.bts24.co.uk/en/rollersc...lnutsaeterminalnutngkuniversal50pcs40092.html

Plug with missing cap

IMG_0361.JPEG

just get a plug from halfords and take the cap off!

good luck!

What that man said, best of luck.

Got to say, Jeff what started as a bit of hiccup with perhaps a loose connection is spreading a bit. I take it you're familiar with the 6 Laws of Italian Sports Cars? Let me know if you're unfamiliar with them and I'll share them with you :)

Last edited:
Well I took your advice and bought a really cheap plug for aroung £2.50 just to get the cap. Halfords had no idea and a small parts accessories shop spent a good few minutes trying to remove teh end cap off a plug which wasnt a screw on cap LOL

Anyway, to relieve my paranoia I removed the plug from the hole that the lead broke on and using a vacuum cleaner with a microfiber wrapped round the nozzle to plug the gap I vaccummed the cylinder just in case the cap was in there. It wasnt :)

IMG_0363.jpg

Then I removed the cap from the spark plug with a spanner to hold the plug and pliers to unscrew the cap - there not actually on that tight but too tight to remove by hand.

IMG_0364.jpg

Close up of the plug in daylight so you can see the colour - they look the right colour to me - any comments??

IMG_0369.JPEG

IMG_0370.jpg

Because I felt guily getting a free spark plug in the car accessory shop I bought some paint to repaint my air filter housing so painted that too plus the ends of the air hoses.

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

So with one of ignition leads replaced with an original one and a spark plug with the cap tightened up (replaced in actuality), Nicks too good MAFS and the battery disconnected folowed bu the relearn/idle till fans come on I went for a drive. I think there is a slighgt whisper of the misfire there but overall it ran great. Tomorrow, the intention is to see what it is like from cold after the car has completely cooled down overnight. If that works I am going to leave it overnight again and swap in my eBay MAF and do a relearn and hopefully confirm that the eBay MAF works just as well as a genuine Bosch one. If that works then I'll introduce my own genuine Bosch one the next day etc.

In the meantime I'm going to see how much it will cost for Magnecor to fix my ignition lead - its the 2nd one thats snapped like that :-(

As it was relearning I checked various places with my infrared thermometer and could find any obvious differences in temp between teh manifolds etc beiween the 2 sides.

Relearn process - car doesnt sound lumpy or anything :)

https://youtu.be/DCKXOgX6Jwg

Good news....my MAFS have finally arrived at FIC. Also, I contacted NGK about obtaining the spark plug caps and a very kind lady said they would send 8 FOC :)

MAFS Delivered.jpg

The bad news....I've not been able to take teh car out today to do any testing duie to theatrocious weather - lets hope it brightens up for tomorrow.

Good news....my MAFS have finally arrived at FIC. Also, I contacted NGK about obtaining the spark plug caps and a very kind lady said they would send 8 FOC :)

The bad news....I've not been able to take teh car out today to do any testing duie to theatrocious weather - lets hope it brightens up for tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes :thumbsup:

Just whilst doing some testing I noticed a couple of other small differences between the eBay MAF and the genuine BOSCH one:

The locating tab on the MAF so you canty put it in the wrongt way round I assume is not on the eBay one - not a big deal though.

IMG_0387.jpg

Here is the Bosch one showing how the tab goes into the air filter box.

IMG_0388.jpg

I also notoced tht the diameter was ever so slightly less of teh eBay on which just got me a bot worried in case warm air from teh engine was being drawn in instead of through the normal air ducts. To address this I just applied one layer of electrical tape which made it fi more snugly in teh air box like the Bosch one.

IMG_0389.jpg

Bit of a mixed bag today...

Now that I've sent Nicks his MAFS back I'm running on my ebay MAF plus my other genuine MAF which I am assuming is faulty as the misfire (albeit slight) is back :-(

My latest order for another eBay MAF has been cancelled so have tried ordering off aliexpress!!! Desperation or what LOL TBH I am expecting to get a cancelled notification order very soon.

NGK emailed this morning to say the irdidium plug tips are in teh post.

I've also sent my broken magnecor lead plus a boot from my genuine Ferrari lead off to Magnecor UK so they can either repair or make a new one.

IMG_0404.jpg

I'm also trying to buy a set of ignition leads off a company called Kingsbourne in the USA but they are proving impossible to get hold of or place an order on their website. I just do not understand how some companies operate GRRRR

I've also left a message with Fuel Injection Corp to check progress on my MAF repair - I'm itching to get back on the road! :)