What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

"Trackday" ideas please?

J70

Had my car a while now, and believe it or not, I havent "explored" anything above legal highway speed limits. (No, really I havent.No winking smiley)

I've no desire to go on a conventional track day hammering round a circuit and make brake fluid boil and part with my tyre's treadblocks, though I would easily pass noise limits with my stock exhaust.
I've no desire to spend all day either - a couple of 0.75-0.8 * Vmax would do, nothing daft. (25mins- half an hour, up/back "ahh, thats what its like" Thank you very much. Job done)

I often see, on the telly, on these retoration shows, they end up at a private test track cruising about doing pieces to camera - I've no idea where they are, but they'd do.
Ditto so would a runway, if it was long enough, or if I could hit the end at some speed... (almost as if, someone left a gate open, I could up/back and gone!)

I know I could book a conventional track day, and just do the bits I want, pack up and leave, but has anyone got any brighter ideas?
Thanks.

I'm sure you can book most 'driving' airfields by the hour etc.

I went on an advanced 1-2-1 road driving course a few years ago, for which the last hour was at Elvington, just me an an instructor had the place to ourselves, can't have been much to hire because the whole day cost me around £400..

Why not ask the people at that Blyton if they can accomadate you for an hour at the end of or after another track day - the only catch for most locations is the need for their marshalls still to be around - another option might be Bruntingthorpe

Thanks for those ideas chaps. I'll try them.

I genuinely do just pootle around and so would like , just once, to see what happens if I dont lift off - but I've no desire find either my or the cars limits.

I feel the same. Half an hour of spirited driving would do me. I don't want to pound round all day melting tyres and brakes.

I know the Silvesrtone circuit runs half hour taster sessions for about £39. So I may try that

It's just this sort of taster with instructor that Francis booked on an FOC day (and may have got him hooked!)

Call the office to see if they have any spaces left for Donington or Silverstone

...but has anyone got any brighter ideas?
Thanks.
This?

pink-barbie-nissan-micra.jpg

:grin:

(Some track day organisers do half days and/or beginners days. I'd go on one of these, and just open it up where you feel comfortable doing so. You never know, you might really enjoy it and want to start opening it up more).

(Some track day organisers do half days and/or beginners days. I'd go on one of these, and just open it up where you feel comfortable doing so. You never know, you might really enjoy it and want to start opening it up more).

I think youre misunderstanding my mission.
There is no lack of driving god status :thumbsup:, or fear of "pushing it" - I've done plenty of track days in the past, I just dont want to push this car.

As you just advised that gentleman over the broken 355, save and focus - well, I did. And I love my car (apart from the 8mm nut that holds the shifter cables apart) and I wanted it for a long time, and to just pootle along, like I did on Sunday back from Donington sat next to my son, chatting about the racing and spotting others just out enjoying their pride and joys too , is enough. In fact there is little better, chatting away, listening to V8, smelling the leather, feeling the road through ... ( I could bore on) , and I'd just sooner do a 1000miles like that, than 50 or a 100 on a track day taking more life out of it than the 1000 cruising. I appreciate that to many thats wrong, and that the car can take it, and it was made to, I just dont want to.

But I would just like to give its head once.. just to see.. thats all.

Now where can I get one of those Micras?

Met the lady who runs this at Mercedes World on one of those corporate days:
http://www.driverdp.com/

I believe she set the centre up in the first place.

She uses the Prodrive test track, I quite liked the idea but my car is too noisy (with a Tubi) to meet the 100db limit.

She does half days which seemed pretty ideal to me, drive as fast or slow as you like, get some instructiion if you wanted it too.

I use Motorsport Events. These are trackdays on an airfield, so lots of run off. I know the Hullavington days have a "play" area where you can explore the extremes of your car. You can even do donuts is you wish!

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/

Yeh, I would certainly second MSE! We were at Abingdon last month and I'm sure I saw others away from the main 'circuit' playing.

They have a decent set of trackday rules too so little chance of silly buggers even if you do the main event. Ed from MSE also ran/runs the Aston days at Millbrook, if you could get him to do a one to one there that would be a brilliant (half) day out.

Was spoiled 'owning' an airfield for a few years (well, running one anyway). Driving regs were rewritten to state that the speed limit could be broken but only with the express permission of SATCO........ which was me - convenient :) . Anyway, it's got to be done.

Airfield wise Barkston do airfield driving days now and then, could be worth a look. Re Blyton, I know another member who rang the owner up and just asked to pop over on an evening for a few laps so that might be an option.