What's new
Club Scuderia

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Please take a minute to read this thread about our recent server issues and forum platform Switch

599GTB - Modificato Project

Service

Well the miles add up and so the 599 gets a service.

34,000 miles now and boringly reliable.

Routine but bigger service as it was time to change brake fluid, power steering fluid, as well as the usual service stuff.
Had a TPMS sensor that was occasionally playing up so the Stratstone guys did the the re-code of that which saved me a job that I was going to DIY

Nothing else really to report... oh CCM wear is 16% which is exactly in line with the wear of the original set. Pad wear less than previous wear rates.

Some interesting stuff in - A California with an exploded rear diff being the most interesting.

Labour rate and parts commensurate with an indie.

Last edited:
Sadly I've just had the California removed from our 'possible' list following some chats with very well regarded techies. I'd been considering it as a single car replacement for our 360/Boxster pairing :cry:

Probably worth checking out the Chris Harris / Harry Metcalfe podcast where they discuss the California project and its difficult birth. Its not a pretty story and one that they single out as they only time they have not told the fully story of a car on test. In their defence they were on the downslope of EVO at the time so had no reason to make an enemy but its not pretty listening.

Probably worth checking out the Chris Harris / Harry Metcalfe podcast where they discuss the California project and its difficult birth. Its not a pretty story and one that they single out as they only time they have not told the fully story of a car on test. In their defence they were on the downslope of EVO at the time so had no reason to make an enemy but its not pretty listening.

I've always quite liked the Cali for what it does (or seems to do - never driven one) in being a more practical car to live with than say a 430/458, sort of like a modern Mondial, the 80s/90s one obviously, but they don't seem all that keen on it themselves. Interesting to hear them talk a little about Ferrari just after talking about the Cali specifically. The segment starts at 40:30 on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We5lV8Q-VXE

Last edited:
I've been hearing "fine when they're working but when they go wrong, they can properly go wrong". It's a shame as I've been at a loss to think of a possible 360/Boxster replacement. Having done a few laps of other exotics in my head, I arrive back at the 360 with the only other contender (for us) being a nice 911. As much as I like Porsche's it's just not a Ferrari, hence my comments about maybe a 328 in another thread. The Cali may've been a perfect 'kill two birds with one stone' kind of car and I just recently had my hopes dashed a little!

Sorry for hijacking the 599 thread a little.

I've been hearing "fine when they're working but when they go wrong, they can properly go wrong". It's a shame as I've been at a loss to think of a possible 360/Boxster replacement. Having done a few laps of other exotics in my head, I arrive back at the 360 with the only other contender (for us) being a nice 911. As much as I like Porsche's it's just not a Ferrari, hence my comments about maybe a 328 in another thread. The Cali may've been a perfect 'kill two birds with one stone' kind of car and I just recently had my hopes dashed a little!

No problem I forgot to mention anyway that in my service report clutch wear is still under 40%. so right on spec for lifetime longevity of circa 150,000 km

...again the car has been driven and driven hard at times and also live in the city centre so it gets all types of use - it is 100% the original clutch which adds to my existing cynicism about Ferrari clutch longevity and clocked cars.

I've always quite liked the Cali for what it does (or seems to do - never driven one) in being a more practical car to live with than say a 430/458, sort of like a modern Mondial, the 80s/90s one obviously, but they don't seem all that keen on it themselves. Interesting to hear them talk a little about Ferrari just after talking about the Cali specifically. The segment starts at 40:30 on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We5lV8Q-VXE

Actually listened to all of that and surprised myself in that I enjoyed it. Best quote "electric cars are a middle England solution"

Mod, love those winglets, just so cool, both aesthetically and from an engineering perspective.

Actually listened to all of that and surprised myself in that I enjoyed it. Best quote "electric cars are a middle England solution"

Mod, love those winglets, just so cool, both aesthetically and from an engineering perspective.

Indeed but beware the fake ones without the wing root bleed slot...

Your inbox is full Mark..... tried to PM you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update - new parts

So an update to the 599 thread and ownership experience.

As many of you know my life was interrupted by a serious health 'holiday' that meant that my Ferrari's didn't get their regular exercise for a while.

Even though the 599 (taxed year round) is used more than the F430 its airconditioning compressor has just failed at 33,000 miles.

The car has been used for a lot of foreign trips and hence its Air Con has been worked hard - still the compressor failure is more likely (in part) due to its fairly recent lay-up.

Having said that the 599 A/C design and parts were always on the limit in hotter climes due to: the intense heat a big V12 generates, the rake of the windscreen and also my car being black adds to the load.

Of note is there is a new part number now [OLD parts 227531 and 241559] have both been superseded by 263176 which is the GTO fitment and is an upgraded and later Delphi unit.

The even better news is that the RRP of this newer part is significantly less (via eurospares) at £500 instead of £900. Of course re-furbishment of the failed item is another no doubt cheaper option but I don't want my old standard part to be on the car when an upgrade is possible - refurbed or not.

[Bang goes that classiche status eh? :grin:]

I am planning to take off to Italy as soon as we are 'allowed' - even though my employment status allows me to travel freely and not be asked where I am going - my other half has to wait.

Hence the car is in stratstone now waiting for the new compressor.

Of note when it comes to cabin temperature and load on the A/C system there is now also a new windscreen option with better thermal reflection [part number 81716600] so if you are running a 599 and the screen goes this newer part should be the preferred replacement. It will lighten the overall load for the aircon in hotter places. Adds £300 to the bill but whether insurance covers it or not I would personally insist on the upgrade.

Will let you all know how it goes when I get it back and on the road to the sun.

Last edited:
Interesting. I also have a leaking compressor on my 355 that will get fixed later this year and have the same "issue" on price. That's a lot of money for an Italian to take a compressor out of one box and into a another that is yellow with little black horses on it. :shocked:

If you can find the manufacturers code, I'm sure you can get it for even less at euocarparts or somewhere similar. :thumbsup:

Interesting. I also have a leaking compressor on my 355 that will get fixed later this year and have the same "issue" on price. That's a lot of money for an Italian to take a compressor out of one box and into a another that is yellow with little black horses on it. :shocked:

If you can find the manufacturers code, I'm sure you can get it for even less at euocarparts or somewhere similar. :thumbsup:

Yeah understand 100% and sought to do that but the visible part number is exclusive to Maserati and Ferrari only.

It is even more expensive in a blue box. :shocked:

Unless we can fine a helpful Delphi employee at short notice its a bit of a cul-de-sac I am in.

Remember also the price Ferrari pays for its spares is what they can negotiate amortised over the volume of their cars - which is not very much at all.

So when the maker puts it into a yellow box they are charging significantly more to make it worth their while to even supply Ferrari...

Some strategic partners are happy to sell parts to Ferrari at a loss for the halo effect - many are not.

Auto aircon parts have supplied me with two compressors in the past.
One for my 430 cost £270.95 inc vat and postage. ( out right cost no exchange )
They have 355 listed on their site.

Last edited:
So car is back now just in time for summer - aircon system now has a better efficiency with the new compressor but the U.K. weather won’t test that much. Hoping for some epic trips now as we haven’t been to Italy since last summer and need to get to the farm to see how things are.
85D024A9-1E59-4FCF-8222-FFDF8312F5BA.jpg
Watch this space

That's looking well Mod, Traffic Centre to boot! That's brave (shopping) in any car :laugh: Despite living barely 15-20 minutes from the Trafford centre I do not remember when I last went.